CNA Psych Tech- PRN- Days- BH Adolescents
Provides direct and indirect patient care under the direction of a registered nurse. Provides for the personal care and comfort of psychiatric patients. Provides a safe, clean environment. Participates in performance improvement and continuous quality improvement (CQI) activities.
POSITION EDUCATION/ QUALIFICATIONS:
- High school/GED required
- CPI training required within 30 days of hire date.
- Current CNA certification required.
- Current BLS/CPR certification required.
- Good written and verbal communication skills required.
- Ability to read, write and speak English
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely with all levels of nursing, administration, and physicians
- Prefer hospital experience
- One - two (1-2) years experience as a nursing assistant; behavioral health setting preferred
- Requires strong communication and organizational skills.
- Requires reasoning ability and good independent judgment.
- Must present a professional image.
- Requires working with frequent interruptions.
- Promotes the facility mission, vision and values by effectively communicating them to others. Considers mission, vision and values in developing services, standards and practices
- Conducts a full client inventory in the Intake area.
- Give report to the nurse and tech picking up client in the Intake area.
- Does not leave the client unattended at any time.
- Identify any contraband and dispose of it appropriately.
- Identify if client has brought home medications. If so coordinate with the nurse and the family so that medications can be sent home.
- Orient patient and family to BHR processes. Monitoring, programming, activities, and phone numbers for units.
- Assist on units in between admissions coordinating this task with the Intake Department.
- Orients patients to the unit, takes admission vital signs and records on the Nursing Assessment Form.
- Performs and records patient vital signs, intake and output; notifies RN of any changes.
- Provides general nursing care, i.e., transferring patients, assisting with ADLs.
- Continuously observes patients' behavior, mental status and activities, notifies RN of any changes or unusual occurrences.
- Demonstrates the ability to identify behaviors that require intervention.
- Escorts patients when leaving the unit for activities and scheduled tests.
- Able to perform patient safety checks at scheduled times, documents appropriately.
- Responsible for one-to-one observation for high-risk patients.
- Able to assist with restraining a patient, placing a patient in seclusion.
- Participates in patient care conferences.
- Communicates appropriately and clearly to the Nurse Manager, RNs and physicians.
- Demonstrates the ability to set limits for patients and other de-escalation techniques.
- Orients new staff members to the staff.
- Assists with therapeutic groups under the direction of the RN.
LINES OF REPSONSIBILITES:
Charge Nurse → 2. Supervisor of Counseling Services → 3. Director → 4. VP of Behavioral Hospital