Director of OR - DHR Brownsville
Our Mission is to improve the well-being of those we serve with a commitment to excellence: every patient, every encounter, every time.
Our Vision is to create a world-class health system to advance medicine and increase access for the communities we serve by empowering caregivers to heal through compassion, knowledge, innovation, integrated care and excellence.
Responsible for the delivery of patient care that promotes safety and well-being of all patients in the assigned department(s) on a twenty-four hour basis. Plans, directs, coordinates and evaluates the overall clinical nursing practice and administrative activities, including fiscal, material and human resource management. Participates in the development and implementation of hospital policies and procedures, as well as making suggestions for revision of same. Maintains open communication with all nursing staff to promote improvement in performance. Maintains open communication with fellow Directors, Chief Clinical Operations Officer and Chief Nurse Officer. Assumes responsibility of administrative supervisor as needed. This position requires a sound knowledge of nursing practice and exceptional leadership abilities.
- High School/GED required
- Graduate of an accredited school of professional nursing.
- Licensure in the State of Texas as a Registered Professional Nurse (RN) required.
- Bachelor of Science degree in nursing (BSN) or Bachelor’s degree in health care/business related field preferred.
- The successful candidate with be required to pass competencies for this position.
- Current BLS/ACLS/PALS certification is required within 6 months of hire.
- AORN certification preferred
- Minimum of two (2) years’ experience as first-line manager coupled with three (3) years clinical operating room nursing experience preferred. Requires knowledge of Texas and Federal regulatory agency standards related to health care organizations.
- Broad understanding of patient care processes.
- Able to apply principles of managerial and leadership theory.
- Cognitive and technical knowledge and the ability to progressively manage care delivery across the continuum of care.
- The ability to retrieve, communicate and present data and information both verbally and in writing required; as is the ability to express or exchange ideas by means of the spoken and written word.
- Involves discretion and independent action within prescribed limits.
- Promotes the facility mission, vision and values by effectively communicating them to others. Considers mission, vision and values in developing services, standards and practices.
- Integrates the department(s) and its services into the organization’s primary mission.
- Leads initiatives resulting in enhanced physician, patient and employee satisfaction and improved quality.
- Creates an environment that facilitates innovative patient care delivery with a focus on infection prevention and patient safety.
- Ensures that adequate, appropriately competent and qualified staff is available to meet patient care needs.
- Actively works to develop and maintain good working relationships with medical staff, other leadership within the organization and staff.
- Responsible for oversight and validation of the surgery support services budget, maintaining financial accountability and working with Senior Leadership to address areas of concern within financially and clinically driven performance reports.
- Coordinates and integrates services within the department(s) and with other Departments.
- Develops and implements policies and procedures that guide and support the provision of services.
- Recommends a sufficient number of qualified and competent persons to provide care.
- Determines the qualifications and competence of department personnel who provide care services and who are not licensed independent practitioners. Continuously assesses and improves the department’s performance. Maintains appropriate quality control programs.
- Provides for orientation, in-service education training, and continuing education of all persons in the department(s).
- Recommends space and other resources needed by the department(s).
- Participates in selecting outside sources for needed services.
- Must be flexible with work scheduling.