CSFA/CST - Full-Time - Days - Day Surgery
The Certified Operating Room Technician (CORT) will assist in the surgical suite to provide safe and skilled patient care.
ESSENTAIL JOB RESPONSIBILITES/FUNCTIONS TO INCLUDE BUT NOT LIMITED TO:
- Promotes the facility mission, vision and values by effectively communicating them to others. Considers mission, vision and values in developing services, standards and practices
- Assist the Operating Room Registered Nurse in preparing the room for the start of surgery. To include: wiping down OR before first case of day, opening sterile packages, selecting appropriate equipment to be used for the case, making sure that all supplies that are required be available and capturing charges for all used items.
- Scrubbing for all types of surgeries and assisting the physicians by handing instruments and holding retractors, etc.
- Assist in placing the patient on the OR table.
- Order supplies and assures that supplies are available to be pulled as necessary.
- Assist with the cleaning the surgical suite and related areas.
- Applies principles and techniques of asepsis to the work assignment; assists with scrubbing, preparation of the sterile field, gowning/gloving members of the surgical team and draping of patient.
- Under the direct supervision of a qualified practitioner, pass instruments, hold retractors, cut/remove sutures, apply suction, apply electro surgical hand piece to instrument and apply/remove cast.
- Responsible for assigned instrument table including instrument set up, clean up and turnover in preparation for the next case. Performs decontamination and sterilization processes per protocol.
- Provides safe handling and care for instrument and specimen in accordance with internal procedures.
- Transports patient and assists with positioning of patient under the direction of a qualified practitioner.
- Orders and stocks supplies and performs environmental cleaning duties according to standards. Cleans assigned work unit; stocks and replenishes supplies and equipment as necessary, identifies and reports problems with supplies or equipment; enters equipment repair request in system, tags equipment and removes from service.
- Provide necessary guidance and instruction to fellow co-workers and students.
- Identifies emergencies (e.g. cardiopulmonary resuscitation, and other medical emergencies), and initiates and/or participates in the appropriate response to situation.
- Maintains an organized and safe work environment, adheres to the hospital's safety and protocol risk management and regulatory standards.
- Reports any unusual circumstances to departmental leadership.
- Collaborates and communicates effectively with the inter-disciplinary team.
- Participates in quality assurance/improvement initiatives as requested.
- Assist with surgical shave preps as assigned and supervised by Register Nurse (RN)
- Demonstrates a commitment to service, organization values and professionalism through appropriate conduct and demeanor at all times
- Attend workshops as necessary, completes assigned education through health-stream. Attends annual competency skills check off.
- Attend departmental meetings
- Other duties as assigned
- High School Graduate or GED equivalent required
- Graduation from an accredited surgical technician program required.
- One-two (1-2) years of progress experience as an Operating Room Technician (CORT/CST), preferred.
- The successful candidate will be required to pass competencies for this position.
- Certification as a Surgical Technician
- Good written and verbal communication skills required.
- Ability to read, write and speak English
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely with all levels of nursing, administration, and physicians
- Current BLS Certification
- Knowledge of specialized equipment used in the operating room
- Prefer technician who has already completed certification by the Association of Surgical Technologists