Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN) - FT- Nights -Med/Surg
Assists the registered nurse in the provision of nursing care to patients in designated departments by performing routine and delegated duties. Delivers care in accordance to LVN Practice Act of the state of Texas. Supports DHR’s vision and mission statement.
POSITION EDUCATION/ QUALIFICATIONS:
- Graduate of accredited school of vocational nursing required
- Current state licensure required
- Current BLS/CPR certification is required
- Six (6) months – One (1) year continuous hospital experience as an LVN is strongly preferred.
- Able to adjust and/or troubleshoot monitoring equipment, and computer equipment.
- Must be able to interact and communicate with all levels of staff, physicians, patients, and families in an effective manner. Exhibits tact, enthusiasm, and patience. Must be sensitive to cultural and bilingual issues.
- Promotes the facility mission, vision and values by effectively communicating them to others. Considers mission, vision and values in developing services, standards and practice
- Supports the philosophy, goals and objectives of the Organization.
- Performs according to approved policies and procedures.
- Participates as a team member in support of the designated unit.
- Considers patient rights in performance of job duties and responsibilities.
- Contributes to the progress and development of the Organization's adopted Quality Management Program.
- Performs according to established continuous quality improvement policies and procedures.
- Supports risk management and participates in programs directed to patient and employee safety.
- Objectively evaluates suggestions, grievances and processes to identify opportunities to improve performance and quality of care.
- Successfully contributes to the quality management process and identifies role and contributions upon supervisor's request.
- Communicates effectively with patients, visitors, physicians and co‑workers.
- Interactions are respectful and courteous.
- Communicates effectively and professionally.
- Documents that information received from the patient is disseminated to the appropriate people or departments.
- Maintains and promotes the facility Compliance Program
- Maintains and promotes the facility Privacy Practices in accordance with HIPAA guidelines.
- Maintains professional competence by participating in continuing education and other learning experiences.
- Participates in committees, conferences and quality improvement activities.
- Maintains membership in relevant professional organizations.
- Seeks new learning experiences by accepting challenging opportunities and responsibilities.
- Objectively evaluates suggestions and criticism and attempts to improve performance or seeks further guidance, as needed.
- Adheres to safety policies and procedures in performing job duties and responsibilities.
- Reports observed or suspected safety violations, hazards and policy and procedure noncompliance to the immediate supervisor.
- Observes safety measures in performance of job duties and responsibilities.
- Responds to emergency situations with competence and composure under the supervision of the RN.
- Assists the registered nurse and physician in providing care to patient.
- Collaborates with registered nurse in assessing the patient's physical and emotional status.
- Implements and documents departmental regimen of care according to policies and procedures.
- Recognizes patient's need for support, answers questions appropriately and provides for privacy and confidentiality.
- Admits patient to designated departmental area according to established guidelines.
- Implements appropriate nursing activities to provide safe and individualized nursing care.
- Evaluates effectiveness of nursing care by documenting patient's responses to interventions.
- Assists in explaining the physician's postoperative instructions to patient and/or family.
- Conveys ideas, concepts and facts related to patient care in a logical, concise manner.
- Assists with discharge activities according to policies and procedures.
- Documents records and other forms accurately and according to policies and procedures.
- Applies technical and specialized skills relevant to departmental nursing.
- Performs nursing functions under the direction and supervision of a registered nurse (e.g. monitors vital signs, maintains or improves respiratory function, performs catheterizations, etc.).
- Administers prescribed medications and performs treatments according to the State of Texas’ definition of Licensed Vocational Nurse practice.
- Observes safety measures in patient care activities.
- Prepares equipment/supplies needed for care of patients and for performing diagnostic tests.
- Performs with competence in emergency situations.
- Recognizes personal limitations and obtains assistance in patient care from registered nurse.
- Displays knowledge of the requirements for instruments, supplies and equipment maintenance.
- Cleans instruments properly after use and observes policy and procedure for care and handling.
Observes and reports need to replenish or revise supply inventories.