Physician Assistant - Neurosurgery
Primarily responsible to assess, evaluate and treat patients in the medical office setting, under the supervision and collaboration of a physician, by using advanced knowledge and skill to identify abnormal conditions, diagnose health problems, develop and implement treatment plans, evaluate patient outcomes, and collaborate with or refer to a physician in the medical practice for further care management.
POSITION EDUCATION/ QUALIFICATIONS:
- Graduation from an accredited program required.
- Completion of an Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) approved program, (Prior to January 2001)-Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs.
- Current Certification by the National Commission on certification of Physician Assistants
- Current state licensure or eligibility for the state of Texas physician assistant.
- Basic surgical and wound closure skills preferred
- Computer skills required with knowledge of Microsoft Office suite.
- Good written and verbal communication skills required.
- Excellent customer service skills are required.
- Some evening or weekend work will be required
- Bilingual – English/Spanish.
- Two (2) years of medical experience in a physician’s office or equivalent combination of training and experience
- Knowledge of medical practice and care
- Knowledge of examination, diagnostic and treatment room procedures
- Knowledge of spinal surgeries and performing pre, post and intra operative assessments and visits
- Knowledge of medical equipment and instruments
- Knowledge of common safety hazards and precautions
- Ability to take and record vital signs, assist in a variety of treatments and medications
- Ability to assist in surgical cases and have basic surgical skills preferred, or training will be provided
- Ability to perform wound closures preferred, or training will be provided
- Ability to maintain records and record and evaluate test results
- Skill in developing and maintaining clinical quality assurance
- Skill in identifying and resolving problems, supervisory experience preferred.
- Ability to interpret, adapt and apply guidelines and procedures
- Ability to use good reasoning and judgment and to react calmly in emergency situations
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients, medical staff, coworkers and the public
- Knowledge of basic arithmetic
- Knowledge of State, Federal, and TJC regulations
- Must project a professional image
- Promotes the facility mission, vision and values by effectively communicating them to others. Considers mission, vision and values in developing services, standards and practices.
- Contributes to physician's effectiveness by identifying short-term and long-range patient care issues that must be addressed; providing information and commentary pertinent to deliberations; recommending options and courses of action; implementing physician directives.
- Assesses patient health by interviewing patients; performing physical examinations; obtaining, updating, and studying medical histories.
- Pre surgery visits: Order the back/neck pain workup and required conservative treatment plan (MRI for spine, physical therapy / alternative treatments) which are required for surgical evaluations and authorizations.
- Determines abnormal conditions by administering or ordering diagnostic tests, such as x-rays, and laboratory studies; interpreting test results.
- Documents patient care services by charting in patient and department records. Meets all CPOE requirements.
- Performs therapeutic procedures by administering injections; managing wounds and infections, providing post operative or post procedure care.
- Intra-operative- “Assistant at surgery or First Assist”
- Inpatient rounds (notes, discharge summaries, patient education, and daily IP rounds
- Post op care - Assist surgeon with routine post-operative visits
- Instructs and counsels patients by describing therapeutic regimens; giving normal procedure information; promoting wellness and health maintenance.
- Provides continuity of care by developing and implementing patient management plans.
- Maintains safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Protects patients and employees by adhering to infection-control policies and protocols.
- Complies with federal, state, and local legal and professional requirements by studying existing and new legislation; anticipating future legislation; enforcing adherence to requirements; advising management on needed actions.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Develops health care team staff by providing information, educational opportunities, and experiential growth opportunities.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed
- Other duties as assigned.