(RN) Registered Nurse - Infusion
Responsible for the delivery of patient care through the nursing process of assessment, diagnosing, planning, implementation, and evaluation in an office setting. Responsible for directing and coordinating all nursing care for departmental specific patients based on established clinical nursing practice standards. Collaborates with other professional disciplines to ensure effective and efficient patient care delivery and the achievement of desired patient outcomes. Supports the organization vision and mission. Utilizes knowledge of patient’s age and cultural diversity into the provision of patient care. Contributes to the provision of quality nursing care through performance improvement techniques that demonstrate positive outcomes in patient care.
POSITION EDUCATION/ QUALIFICATIONS:
- Graduate of accredited school of nursing required
- Current registered nurse’s license in the State of Texas
- Current BLS certification
- ACLS or PALS certification within 6 months of hire
- Obtain Oncology certification as indicated by department director
- Willingness to be cross trained to other areas
Ability to practice nursing as described by the following definition: “The diagnosis and treatment of human responses to actual or potential health alternations.” Ability to utilize the best nursing process in the provision of nursing care including but not limited to administering treatments and medications, interpreting diagnostic tests, formulating a plan of care, collaborating with other health care providers and providing education to patients and/or significant others. The successful candidate will be required to pass competencies for this position.
- Ensures that care is delivered to each patient in accordance with the Nurse Practice Act of the State of Texas and ANA Standards of Clinical Nursing Practice.
- Performs nursing care using sound judgment
- Implements physician’s orders in a safe and accurate manner
- Assists with admitting, discharging and referring patients to other needed resources
- Transcribes and implements new physician orders
- Adapts to the needs of the office by demonstrating flexibility/adaptability
- Maintains detailed and accurate records of nursing actions in the EMR
- Participates in health/therapeutic counseling, teaching/emotional support for patients and significant others
- Makes rounds on assigned patients and prioritizes patient’s needs
- Maintains a safe and clean environment for patients and co-workers
- Provides and receives reports on the status of patients at the change of shifts
- Administers medication and therapies within the scope of safe nursing practice
- Formulates, modifies and implements goal oriented patient care plans according to facility policies with in office physicians
- Assumes responsibility to report clinical limitations or the need for assistance to the supervisor or physician
- Abides by the rules and regulations set forth by the Board of Nurse Examiners
- Adheres to policies and procedures that guide and support the provision of services
- Informs the physician of any anticipated and/or actual issues/problems
- Maintains current with all new policies and procedures published
- Provides direction to non-licensed nursing staff in the delivery of patient care providing developmental opportunities and encouraging teamwork
- Anticipates potential problems situations and intervenes to offset any adverse impact
- Escort registered patients with appointments into clinic rooms, as needed
- Take Vitals and Weights per protocol and also as needed and document these appropriately, as needed
- Verify at appropriate intervals that physician orders or requests for each patient have been carried out
- Triage patient complaints due to adverse effects of therapy and manage these when possible. When appropriate, report these to the physician.
- Triage phone calls from patients, other nurses, pharmacies re: patient care issues (not billing or insurance issues) and manage these when possible. When appropriate, report these to the physician.
- Phone pharmacies with prescription orders as needed.
- Ensure that appropriate consent form is available with the medical chart at time of consult and/or treatment if needed
- Assure charts are in the area of scheduled visits on a daily basis
- Ensure that weekly progress note for each patient is in chart prior to weekly on-treatment visit
- Provide patient support for wound care and management of skin reactions and other adverse effects of radiotherapy
- Assist therapists as requested for patient transfers or special care as needed
- Complete to the best of nurses’ ability forms provided by patient (e.g. disability, workers compensation, DOT)
- Clean/disinfect patient instruments following use
- Coordinate with Medical Oncology staff any patient care issues as applicable
- Assists other departments within the Advanced Care Center when needed
- Other duties as assigned