Emergency Room Technician - FT - Nights - ED
Assist clinical team members by performing a variety of duties for patients within the patient focused care system and under the direction/supervision of a registered nurse. Including, but not limited, to phlebotomy, splinting, assisting with procedures and transporting of patients.
- High School graduate/GED preferred
- Must maintain an active license as C.N.A, CECA, EMT, EMT Intermediate or graduate of a Medical Assistant program in the state of Texas.
- Current BLS certification required upon hire
- Graduate of an accredited college providing paramedic or related training preferred.
- Must be able to be sensitive to cultural and bilingual issues.
- Good written and verbal communication skills required.
- Ability to read, write and speak English
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely with all levels of nursing, administration, and physicians
- Prefer hospital experienceJOB KNOWLEDGE/EXPERIENCE:
- Two (2) years experience as ED Technician or related preferred.
- Able to adjust and/or troubleshoot monitoring equipment, and computer equipment.
- Requires reasoning ability and good independent judgment.
- Requires working with frequent interruptions.
- Exhibits tact, enthusiasm, and patience.
- Must have excellent customer service skills.
- High degree of competency/experience in general.
- Requires good communication and organizational skills.
- Requires reasoning ability and good independent judgment. POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Promotes the facility mission, vision and values by effectively communicating them to others. Considers mission, vision and values in developing services, standards and practice
- Ordering paper products and medical supplies for unit.
- Maintaining log of assignments for ER techs, and assigning room duties at start of shift.
- Actively participates directly with patient care and ensures a safe and comforting environment
- Responds to patients needs in a timely manner.
- Transports patients as needed.
- Welcomes patients and assists in the admission process.
- Pre-Triage functions including vital signs, notification of arrival and transporting patients to triage
- Performs/Assists with positioning patients and transferring patients from bed to chair or wheelchair or stretcher.
- Cleaning and assembling bed for next patient.
- Observes intravenous lines for adequacy of fluids and operations and reports any non-functioning line as observed with visual inspection.
- Performs oral suction with yankauer.
- Establishes patient setup/connection tasks including NIBP, SaO2, and EKG.
- Applies icepacks.
- Able to prepare IV fluids for licensed personnel via spiking & priming for protocol
- Performs 12 lead ECG.
- Performs vital signs using a variety of equipment
- Performs shave preps on patients.
- Obtains weights and basic patient information as necessary.
- Provides clerical duties as needed, including looking up labs and radiology results.
- Order entry as needed
- Performs blood glucose monitoring.
- Maintains appropriate stock levels of supplies and forms in the emergency department.
- Uses resources in an efficient and cost effective manner.
- Orients new hires to floor
- Participates in developing other staff
- Maintains and develops competencies
- Maintains and promotes a team spirit through active cooperation and collaboration.
- Assists in interdepartmental service coordination
- Participates in the Performance Improvement and Utilization.
- Assumes a role in the maintenance of the patient-focused care delivery system.
- Maintains a neat, organized work area in emergency department.
- Assembles patient chart with appropriate labeling of all chart forms.
- Maintains organization of charts to facilitate location of data and placement forms.
- Posts labs on chart
- Applies skills as delegated such as phlebotomy, setting up trays, dressings and splinting per policy.
LINES OF RESPONSIBILITY:
ER Director…Charge Nurses…ER Registered Nurses…ER Technician