Histology Tech I - FT - Days - Lab
The Histology Tech I will perform the various tasks required for receiving, processing, and preparing patient tissue specimens for microscopic examination and analysis by the Pathologist. This may include logging, batching, and cutting, mounting and staining procedures. Tissue specimens received from surgical, diagnostic, or autopsy cases are sorted, logged, and prioritized according to the standards required. Upon receiving written or verbal orders from physicians or their designees, the Histology Technician will coordinate daily workflow of tasks and activities in the surgical pathology area with regard to routine procedures, special procedures, and the surgery schedule.
- High School or equivalent and one year related experience or successful completion of a Histology Training Program
- Picks up and processes all tissue specimen orders from various locations, troubleshoots and documents any orders that are incomplete or incorrect and completes QA reports if needed.
- Processes and assist PA's with Frozen Sections and maintains the TAT reports.
- Checks supplies and keeps all areas in the tissue gross room stocked. Maintains all paperwork and ensures that specimen requisitions are in order for processing.
- Performs daily, weekly and monthly QC on all equipment and reagents used in the department
- Maintains a wet tissue storage for up to four weeks, Sorts legal specimens and updates logs on the shared drive.
- Clears pending lists, files slides, orders Outreach cases and picks up specimens when courier is not available. Answers phones and assist all customers with special requests.
- Demonstrate professional conduct through interpersonal skills with patients, laboratory personnel, other health care professionals, and the public.
- Loads tissue processors and is responsible for maintenance and reagent rotations. Maintains cryostats and records daily temps.
- Ensures all PA stations are maintained and cleaned on a daily basis.
- Performs all aspects of the Pathology Send Out Department to include checking in/out slides and blocks, scanning all consult reports, process send outs to outside specialty labs, orders send outs in Cerner, reviews pending logs for send outs, answers most pathology calls, scans the path requisitions, handles patient sample request, orders and maintains SO supply kits.
- Other duties assigned
LINES OF RESPONSIBILITY
Laboratory Director → Assistant Lab Director→ Pathology Manager