Registered Nurse (RN) House Supervisor - FT - Days, Weekends & Varies -WH Admin
The RN House Supervisor is the administrative representative for the organization when administration is not present and as such assumes the role of in-house administrator during assigned shifts. This position is responsible for the operations of the Hospital on his/her shift, including patient care, personnel management, and problem solving. As a leader, the RN House Supervisor is accountable to meet patient care needs while promoting a professional work environment in which excellent patient care and customer service is ALWAYS provided. The RN House Supervisor demonstrates exceptional working relationships with staff, physicians, all members of the hospital team and public by exercising consistent communication, displaying honesty and respect, modeling sensitivity to cultural differences, and expressing and accepting feedback in a professional manner. Supports the organization vision and mission. Utilizes knowledge of patient’s age and cultural diversity into the provision of patient care.
- Graduate of accredited school of nursing required
- BSN required or plan to finish within 18 months of hire. (MSN preferred)
- Current registered nurse’s license in the State of Texas
- Current BLS certification.
- ACLS within 6 months of hire.
- Job requires cross training to like areas – House Supervisor and Bedboard
- Willingness to become a preceptor after one year of Administrative Supervisor experience
- Hospital experience required
- Proficiency in English –verbal and written and computer skills required
- Spanish proficiency preferred
- Five years recent clinical experience
Ability to practice nursing as described by the following definition by the American Nurses Association (2016): “the essential core of practice for the registered nurse to deliver holistic, patient-focused care.” Ability to utilize the best nursing process in the provision of nursing care including but not limited to administering treatments and medications, interpreting diagnostic tests, formulating a plan of care, collaborating with other health care providers and providing education to patients and/or significant others. The successful candidate will be required to pass competencies for this position.
- Experience: Minimum of 5 years continuous hospital experience as an RN
- Essential Technical/Critical Thinking Skills:
- Conducts all aspects of supervision in a firm, fair, consistent manner and in accordance to our established policies and procedures.
- Evaluates and assists with all transfers in and out of facility collaborating with the Administrator on Call (AOC), WHR administrator, Chief Medical Officer (CMO) and/or Chief Executive Officer (CEO) as necessary.
- Continuously surveys all units, with attention to the Emergency Department patient census and acuity and collaborates with AOC to prevent breaks in patients’ care and safety
- Remains informed of procedural areas workflows and assists as necessary
- Assists with assuring OR teams / Anesthesia are available Assists in ensuring effective distribution and utilization of personnel with particular emphasis on staffing for nursing areas by following staffing guidelines and decreasing unnecessary overtime.
- Takes all absence or sick calls
- Takes all Flex and other staff’s calls for assignment
- Reassigns competent staff to like areas to assure all units are appropriately staffed, and collaborates with Main DHR house supervisor before cancelling any staff
- Ensures appropriate patient bed assignment
- Meets with patients, family members and other customers to discuss concerns and unmet needs and coordinates a response.
- Evaluates and reports issues on Quantros to help identify trends.
- Collaborates with department directors/administration in problem solving to address trended issues.
- Executes decisions in the absence of administration and contacts Administrator on Call as necessary.
- Responds to all codes and alerts hospital-wide as necessary and assures appropriate process is followed, including but not limited to assuring appropriate staff respond, documentation is done, Quantros is submitted and notify appropriate administration when appropriate.
- Performs other duties as assigned by Administration
- Communication Skills: Must be able to interact and communicate with all levels of staff, physicians, patients and families in an effective manner. Exhibits tact, enthusiasm and patience. Must be sensitive to cultural differences.
LINES OF REPSONSIBILITES: (Chain-of-command)
1.Chief Nurse Officer 2.Vice President of Women’s Hospital