Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN) - FT - Days-BH ADULT
Supports the organization vision and mission. Utilizes knowledge of patient’s age and cultural diversity into the provision of patient care. Contributes to the provision of quality nursing care through performance improvement techniques that demonstrate positive outcomes in patient care. The individual must demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and possess the ability to assess data reflective of the patient's status and interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patient's requirements relative to his or her age-specific needs, and to provide the care needed as described in the unit's/area's/department's policies and procedures. Will be required to float to any and all departments as deemed necessary by Nursing Administration and management.
- Graduate of accredited school of nursing required.
- Current Licensed Vocational Nursing license in the State of Texas.
- Current BLS certification.
- Clinical setting experience in direct patient care – 2 years minimum.
- Recent hospital experience preferred.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Computer skills required with knowledge of Microsoft Office suite.
- Good written and verbal communication skills required.
- Bilingual – English/Spanish -preferred
Ability to practice nursing as described by the following definition by the American Nurses Association (2016): “the essential core of practice for the registered nurse to deliver holistic, patient-focused care.” Ability to utilize the best nursing process in the provision of nursing care including but not limited to administering treatments and medications, interpreting diagnostic tests, formulating a plan of care, collaborating with other health care providers and providing education to patients and/or significant others. The successful candidate will be required to pass competencies for this position.
- Experience: Minimum of two (2) years of continuous experience. Hospital experience preferred.
- Ability to work ALL inpatient units.
- Required to pass competencies for this position.
- Communication Skills: Must be able to interact and communicate with all levels of staff, physicians, patients and families in an effective manner. Exhibits tact, enthusiasm and patience. Must be sensitive to cultural differences.
- Essential Technical/Motor skills: Must be able to adjust and/or troubleshoot monitoring equipment and computer equipment.
- Must demonstrate the ability to practice nursing as described by the following definition: “The diagnosis and treatment of human responses to actual or potential health alternations.”
- Ability to utilize the best nursing process in the provision of nursing care including but not limited to administering treatments and medications, collaborating with other health care providers and helping provide education to patients and/or significant others.
- Ensures that care is delivered to each patient in accordance with the Nurse Practice Act of the State of Texas and ANA Standards of Clinical Nursing Practice. Ensures that care is delivered to each patient in accordance with the Nurse Practice Act of the State of Texas and ANA Standards of Clinical Nursing Practice.
- Promotes the facility mission, vision and values by effectively communicating them to others. Considers mission, vision and values in developing services, standards and practices.
- Maintains competency on primary units by completing one worked shift per month.
- Performs nursing care using sound judgment.
- Systematically evaluates the quality and effectiveness of nursing practice.
- Abides by the rules and regulations set forth by the Board of Nurse Examiners
- Adheres to policies and procedures that guide and support the provision of services. Maintains current with all new policies and procedures published.
- Performs duties as assigned. Refusal of assignment may result in immediate termination.
- Implements physician’s orders in a safe and accurate manner.
- Assists RN with admitting, discharging and transferring patients.
- Transcribes and implements new physician orders.
- Adapts to the needs of the unit by demonstrating flexibility/adaptability.
- Maintains knowledge of the patient’s status during hospitalization and works with healthcare team to adjust and improve approach to recovery.
- Maintains detailed and accurate records of nursing actions.
- Participates in health/therapeutic counseling, teaching/emotional support for patients and significant others.
- Makes rounds on assigned patients and prioritizes patient’s needs.
- The nurse acquires and maintains current knowledge in nursing practice.
- Maintains a safe and clean environment for patients and co-workers.
- Provides and receives reports in a status of patients at the change of shifts.
- Administers medication and therapies within the scope of safe nursing practice.
- Modifies and implements goal oriented patient care plans according to facility policies.
- Assumes responsibility to report clinical limitations or the need for assistance to the supervisor.
- Informs the charge nurse of any anticipated and/or actual issues/problems. .
- Provides direction to non-licensed nursing staff in the delivery of patient care.
- Anticipates potential problems situations and intervenes to offset any adverse impact.
- Contacts the organ procurement organization in order to satisfy regulatory requirements for the determination of medical suitability for organ, tissue and eye donation; completes certificate of referral/request and places same in the medical record.
- Plans and coordinates time schedule with peers to provide coverage.
- Ensures the distribution and delivery of equipment/supplies as necessary.
- Builds a positive work environment and exhibits cooperation by guiding employees to support the mission of the hospital, providing developmental opportunities and encouraging teamwork.
- Attends mandatory in-service, yearly education, and departmental meetings.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
- Complies with schedule requirements.
As a RESOURCE LVN:
- Responsible for expediting patient discharges per standard guidelines -including reinforcement of patient teaching, follow up appointments and home prescriptions.
- Assists with wound care of assigned patients and/or applies wound care pump per physician’s orders.
- Assists RN coordinating reports on patients from OR and/or other units.
- Initiate, update and/or complete transfer paperwork as appropriate
- Assist with medication administration as deemed competent within LVN scope of practice and institution’s policies and procedures
- Assists with obtaining of past medical history & medication history on admissions
- Assists in reinforcing any and all patient education needs
- Assist with core measures and quality initiatives within the unit.