Registered Nurse (RN) House Supervisor- FT - Nights
- POSITION SUMMARY:
The House Administrator is the back-up administrative representative for the organization when administration is not present. This position is responsible to assist in the operations of the Hospital on his/her shift, including patient care, personnel management, and problem solving. As a leader, the House Supervisor is accountable to meet patient care needs while promoting a professional work environment in which excellent patient care and customer service is ALWAYS provided. The House Supervisor demonstrates exceptional working relationships with staff, physicians, all members of the hospital team and public by exercising consistent communication, displaying honesty and respect, modeling sensitivity to cultural differences, and expressing and accepting feedback in a professional manner. Supports the organization vision and mission. Utilizes knowledge of patient’s age and cultural diversity into the provision of patient care.
- POSITION EDUCATION/QUALIFICATIONS:
- Graduate of accredited school of nursing required
- BSN required (MSN preferred)
- Current registered nurse’s license in the State of Texas
- Current BLS certification.
- ACLS within 6 months of hire.
- Job requires cross training to like areas – House Administrator and Bedboard
- Willingness to become a preceptor after one year of House Supervisor experience
- Hospital experience required
- Proficiency in English –verbal and written and computer skills required
- Spanish proficiency preferred
- Five years recent clinical experience
- JOB KNOWLEDGE/EXPERIENCE:
Ability to practice nursing as described by the following definition by the American Nurses Association (2016): “the essential core of practice for the registered nurse to deliver holistic, patient-focused care.” Ability to utilize the best nursing process in the provision of nursing care including but not limited to administering treatments and medications, interpreting diagnostic tests, formulating a plan of care, collaborating with other health care providers and providing education to patients and/or significant others. The successful candidate will be required to pass competencies for this position.
- Experience: Minimum of 3 years continuous hospital experience as a RN
- Essential Technical/Critical Thinking Skills: Able to adjust and/or troubleshoot monitoring equipment and computer equipment.
- Conducts all aspects of supervision in a firm, fair, consistent manner and in accordance to our established policies and procedures.
- Issues and logs restraints for the non-critical areas
- Calls support departments (engineering, housekeeping, Biomed, safety) when needed
- Addresses equipment issues
- Assists House Administrator as necessary to ensure effective distribution and utilization of personnel with particular emphasis on staffing for nursing areas by following staffing guidelines and decreasing unnecessary overtime.
- Takes all absence or sick calls
- Takes all Flex and other staff’s calls for assignment
- Does not cancel staff until needs are assessed in every clinical area
- Evaluates and reports issues on Quantros to help identify trends.
- Collaborates with department directors/administration in problem solving to address trended issues.
- Manages the resolution of patient issues that arise during the course of the shift.
- In absence of House Administrator contacts the Administrator on Call as necessary.
- Makes frequent rounds to patient units to monitor care and to be available to staff
- Ensures appropriate patient bed assignment and supervises clinical activities in the absence of the House Administrator
- Responds to all codes and alerts at Behavioral Health, and Rehab Hospital
- Ensures a live interpreter is contacted when the need arises
- Performs other duties as assigned by management
- Communication Skills: Must be able to interact and communicate with all levels of staff, physicians, patients and families in an effective manner. Exhibits tact, enthusiasm and patience. Must be sensitive to cultural differences. POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES: STANDARDS OF PROFESSIONAL PERFORMANCE