Medical Assistant - Vein Institute
Full-Time - Days
Perform selected nursing and administrative/clerical duties that assist in the delivery of primary health care and patient care management under the direction of a physician. These duties are delegated in relation to the individual's degree of training, in accordance with the objectives and policies of the organization and respective state laws governing such action and activities.
- High School/GED preferred.
- Certification obtained from an accredited Medical Assistant program.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Computer skills required with knowledge of Microsoft Office suite.
- Good written and verbal communication skills required.
- Bilingual – English/Spanish.
- Two (2) years of experience in clinical setting most desirable.
- Scribing experience, highly preferred.
- Promotes the facility mission, vision and values by effectively communicating them to others. Considers mission, vision and values in developing services, standards and practices.
- Record patients' medical history, vital statistics and information such as test results in medical records.
- Prepare treatment rooms for patient examinations, keeping the rooms neat and clean.
- Interview patients to obtain medical information and measure their vital signs, weight, and height.
- Authorize drug refills and provide prescription information to pharmacies.
- Clean and sterilize instruments and dispose of contaminated supplies.
- Prepare and administer medications as directed by a physician.
- Show patients to examination rooms and prepare them for the physician.
- Assist the physician in the room as needed.
- Translate for patient/physician as needed.
- Explain treatment procedures, medications, diets and physicians' instructions to patients.
- Help physicians examine and treat patients, handing them instruments and materials or performing such tasks as giving injections or removing sutures.
- Collect blood, tissue or other laboratory specimens, log the specimens, and prepare them for testing.
- Keep track of laboratory tests, medications, and radiology tests ordered by the physician
- Gather data for physician review (i.e., laboratory results, faxed radiology reports, medical records)
- Coordinate communication between physicians and staff, make and answer telephone calls
- Document any consultations the physician makes to a patient’s personal doctor, family members, on-call physician, or other members of the medical community
- Take vital signs and room patients as needed
- Accompany provider to hospital to document consults or hospital rounds as needed
- Provide patients with updates about waits and delays
- Document all procedures done by the physician, as dictated by the physician
- Responsible for documenting all diagnoses, treatment plans, prescriptions, and discharge/follow-up information for each patient
- Other duties as assigned.