User Experience (UX) Designer
Derive Systems is a leading automotive technology company with over 2 million software installations powering upgraded vehicles on our roads today. Derive connects vehicles and their engines to the digital world, enabling individuals and fleets to take control and optimize for performance, fuel efficiency, safety, and more. The Derive Systems platform leverages added on-board intelligence, powerful cloud data integration, enhanced sensors, and cloud technologies to personalize every automotive experience. We transform vehicles from one-size-fits-all, to deliver smart, dynamically adaptable, and mission-specific experiences.
As a UX Designer at Derive Systems, you’ll be joining a small but growing team focused on providing amazing experiences to our customers and end-users. You will be responsible for working cross-functionally to improve our products and design new features based on feedback and insights gathered from customers and internal stakeholders. You'll have many opportunities to pull a wide range of talented engineers – including firmware, hardware and cloud services – into the design process with you as you work together to design the right solution.
You'll participate in – and often lead – all phases of the design process, from generative user research, to divergent whiteboarding and design iterations, convergent high-fi design, prototyping and production. Throughout the process, you should be able to help the team understand the user's perspective, feel excited about moving quickly and enjoy solving problems iteratively and transparently. To complement the design team’s current skillset, we’re looking for someone with a solid UX design background and demonstrable visual design skills. We believe it’s important to have fun while you’re at work and look forward to the innovative ways you'll delight our customers while enjoying the process of building great products alongside your colleagues.
As a UX Designer at Derive, you’ll be responsible for:
- Carrying your designs and ideas through the entire product design process
- Exploring many diverse solutions (while being willing to discard most) as a way to find the best
- Building prototypes at the right level of fidelity to communicate intent, and test ideas early
- Helping to build and maintain design systems that provide consistency as our products evolve
- Conducting user research to gather insights that will influence product direction
- Collaborating with people from many disciplines, e.g. hardware, software, firmware and platform
You’ll do amazing things here if:
- You’re eager to learn, but you’re also willing to teach
- You organize and prioritize your efforts effectively
- You advocate for design thinking across our teams
- You are comfortable with autonomy and ambiguity
- You are objective, humble, and curious
Your Background / Experience:
- 5+ years of digital UX design experience
- Familiar with native iOS, Android/Material design best practices
- Proficient in Figma (preferred), Sketch, or other design tools
- Able to prototype in order to test and communicate design decisions
- Solid, demonstrable understanding of user-centered design
- Bonus: Experience with JTBD, Lean, or other product development frameworks
- Bonus: Familiar with hardware development or automotive technology
We believe a diverse team is a stronger team. We’re an equal opportunity employer.