FLSA Status: Non-Exempt, Hourly
Essential Job Functions:
- Lifts, moves, holds or clamps pipe and structural fittings.
- Squares and levels fittings for welding
- Sets up work location by stringing welding lead, gas hoses, and extension cords, etc.
- Cleans weld joints to remove impurities such as slag, rust, and grease, using wire brush or portable grinder.
- Connects hoses from hand torch and beveling machine to oxygen and fuel gas cylinders or connects cables from power source to electrode holder.
- Operates cutting torch and beveling machine.
- Starts diesel engine to active welding generators
- Cleans welds of slag and bb’s
- Tags or marks finished spools
- May attach slings to finished spools to move out of work area
- Maintain orderly clean work area and help crew roll up welding lead, hoses, extension cords etc. to change work location.
- Fire watch duties as assigned to support structural or pipe welding activities
Other Job Responsibilities:
- Other duties as assigned
Required Minimum Qualifications:
- High School Diploma or GED
- Current and valid driver’s license
- One (1) years experience in industrial oilfield construction work, preferred
Post Job Offer Requirements:
- Take and pass a pre-employment drug test
- Take and pass a Fit-for-Duty Examination
Required Training & Certificates:
- North Slope Training Cooperative (NSTC) Training, required
- Attends training sessions, seminars and appropriate educational classes required by department
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
- Knowledge of welding
- Knowledge of proper use of oxygen/acetylene cutting equipment, preferred.
- Knowledge of proper use of equipment such as welder torch, electrode holder, drill press, gas welding and welding electrode, etc.
- Knowledge of hazardous materials and safety regulations and industry practices related to equipment use and operation
- Skilled in daily maintenance of machines including repairs and inspecting equipment to identify possible problems
- Ability to use time and equipment efficiently in order to complete projects on time
- Ability to handle stress and possess positive trait even in difficult or challenging situations
Physical Demand/Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to type, talk hear and see. The employee is frequently required to sit, stand, walk, reach with arms and hands, climb or balance, and to stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Visual Acuity: must be adequate to perform all required tasks in a safe manner.
The noise level in the work environment is usually loud and may require use of ear plugs on occasion. Work may require occasional weekend and/or evening work. Work is performed out of doors and may be in inclement weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts, vehicles and equipment.
The employee must be able to physically travel by air within and out of the State of Alaska.
The above job description covers the principal duties and responsibilities of the job. The description shall not however, be construed as a complete job listing of all duties, which may be required from day-to-day.