Position Summary: The Single Hand Pipe Welder is responsible for operating welding machines to join or connect various types of pipe and fittings in an oil and gas industry setting. The incumbent will be responsible for selecting and setting up welding equipment. Job tasks and assignments may vary on a daily basis.
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt, Hourly
Essential Job Functions:
- Interprets isometric drawings and determines which specifications to apply.
- Operates hand and power tools common to welding such as shielded metal arc and gas metal arc
- Hold, clamp heat-bend, tack-weld or bolt component parts
- Ignites and installs torches and beveling machines within specifications
- Welds using stainless steel, carbon steel and duplex materials
- Maintains machines and inspects equipment to identify possible problems
- Attends training sessions, seminars and appropriate educational classes required by department
- Other duties as assigned
Required Minimum Qualifications:
- Education: High School Diploma or equivalent
- Work Experience: Welding experience.
- Valid Driver License
- Ability to Pass ASME B31.3 - GTAW / SMAW 2’ SCH 160 6G Pipe Test
- Ability to Pass 2” XXH, 6010/7018, SMAW & 6” SCH, 160 GTAW/FCAW, 6G pipe tests
- OSHA 10 Certification, or ability to obtain upon hire
- Current H2S Certification, or ability to obtain upon hire
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
- Knowledge of industrial construction and characteristics of all equipment functions and operations related to the position
- Knowledge of proper use of equipment such as welder machine, drill press and power tools
- Knowledge of Hazardous Materials and Safety Regulations and industry practices related to equipment use and operation
- Ability to use time and equipment efficiently in order to complete projects on time
- Ability to communicate effectively in a team environment
- Ability to handle stress and maintain positive attitude in difficult or challenging situations
- Ability to attend training sessions, seminars and appropriate educational classes required by department
- Ability to perform all work in a safe manner that meets company and client standards
- Ability to adapt to changing work environment and conditions
- Computer skills commensurate with program and job applications
Physical Demand/Work Environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to talk, hear, see, sit, stand, walk, reach with arms and hands, climb or balance and stoop, kneel, or crouch.
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Visual acuity must be adequate to perform all required tasks in a safe manner.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually loud and may require use of ear plugs on occasion.
- Work is done inside and outside in a fab shop and at a client facility or job site that may have inclement weather conditions.
- Work may require occasional weekend and/or evening work.
- The employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts, vehicles and equipment.
The above job description covers the principal duties and responsibilities of the job. The description shall not however, be construed as a complete job listing of all duties, which may be required from day-to-day.