Essential Job Functions:
- Inspects work site to determine presence of obstructions to performance of piping installation work
- Reads and understands plans, isometrics, arrangement drawings, details, specifications, erection manuals, and/or blueprints and makes decisions based on measurable criteria
- Plans sequence of installation to avoid obstructions and activities of other construction workers
- Selects type and size of pipe and related materials according to specifications
- Preps material for welding by cutting or grinding using porta-band, pipe cutters, cutting torch and/or grinder
- Assembles component layout by applying knowledge of geometry, physical metal properties and weld shrinkage
- Performs basic mathematical calculations pertaining to the craft such as rolling offsets, cutback of fittings, and takeout between welds and other fits
- Threads pipe using threading machine
- Tests piping system for leaks by performing hydro-static or pneumatic testing in pipes and observing gauges attached to pipes for indications of leaks
- Secures pipes to structure with bolt up, clamps, brackets, tack welding and hangars using hand tools and machines
- Rigs piping and utilizes heavy equipment/cranes for installation in modules, pipe racks or other structures.
- Works with precise limits and ANSI and ASME standards of accuracy
Other Job Responsibilities:
- Other duties as assigned
- High School Diploma, or Equivalent
- Current and valid Driver’s License
- Three (3) years’ experience as industrial Pipefitter in oilfield, preferred
Post Job Offer Requirements:
- Take and pass a pre-employment drug test
- Take and pass a Fit-for-Duty Examination
Required Training & Certificates:
- North Slope Training Cooperative (NSTC), required.
- Attends training sessions, seminars and appropriate educational classes required by department.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
- Knowledge of geometry and physical metal properties
- Knowledge of ANSI and ASME standards for pipes and fittings
- Strong verbal communication skills
- Ability to read and understand plans, isometrics, drawings, specification and/or blueprints
- Ability to rig and lift pipe utilizing heavy equipment and/or cranes
- Ability to take direction and adapt to changing priorities
- Vocational training/certification or other post-secondary education directly relative to position is preferred.
(1 year of directly related work experience may qualify to substitute 1 year of education to meet the education requirement)
Physical Demand/Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by the incumbent to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the incumbent is regularly required to type, talk and hear. The incumbent is frequently required to sit, stand, walk, reach with arms and hands, climb or balance, and to stoop, kneel, or crouch. The incumbent must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Visual Acuity: must be adequate to perform all required tasks in a safe manner.
The noise level in the work environment is usually loud and may require use of ear plugs on occasion. Work condition is outside environment (job site/field site) that may have inclement weather conditions. The incumbent is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts, vehicles and equipment.
The employee must be able to physically travel by air within, and out of, the State of Alaska.
The above job description covers the principal duties and responsibilities of the job. The description shall not however, be construed as a complete job listing of all duties, which may be required from day-to-day.