The Mechanical Estimator is responsible for mechanical estimate preparation for fabrication and installation of pumping stations, process facilities, pipelines, storage tank facilities, fire & gas systems, and control systems. The incumbent will be knowledgeable in the Civil, Structural and Piping processes involved in Industrial Fabrication and Installation. The incumbent develops project budgets, evaluates project plans and specifications, writes proposals, creates bids, and manages all aspects of the Mechanical bidding process. Analyzes bid documents to determine scope of work and profitability for the company. Identifies alternative strategies to create strategic bid advantages. The Mechanical Estimator represents the company, ensuring adherence to quote requests and accuracy of bids in the company's best interest. The incumbent develops and maintains a positive relationship with clients and vendors.
Essential Job Functions:
- Reviews bid documents such as Scope of Work, Project Specifications, and design drawings to determine scope of work to be estimated
- Develops accurate, competitive and profitable bid proposals
- Estimates projects for competitive value while taking into account specific job conditions that may affect labor, material and installation
- Develops material takeoffs from the bid documents and and requests quotes from material and equipment vendors and suppliers
- Participates in estimating meetings, project meetings related to bid status and keep management abreast of current status and potential issues
- Presents and resolves conflict or problems during the bidding process
- Conducts close out procedures and post project reviews to maintain efficiency and ensure continued workflow
- Travel to jobsites for extended periods to work with project teams in bid development – North Slope of Alaska, North Dakota and West Texas (and other locations as required). Must be willing and able to travel up to 35% to 50% of time.
Other Job Responsibilities:
- Other duties as assigned
Required Minimum Qualifications:
- High School Diploma, or Equivalent
- Bachelors Degree in a Mechanical Engineering Discipline, Construction Management, or a related field, preferred.
- Valid Drivers License and clean driving record
- Field Supervision or Field Engineering experience, preferred
- 5 years' experience as a full time mechanical estimator for an Industrial contractor
- Proficiency with the WinEst estimating software programs, preferred or such programs as Timberline, ConEst, Accubid
Required Education, Training & Certificates:
- OSHA 10 certificate, or ability to obtain upon hire
- H2S certificate, or ability to obtain upon hire
- Attends training sessions, seminars and appropriate educational classes required by department
- Computer skills commensurate with program and job applications
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience in preparing cost estimates within the oil and gas industry
- Understanding of basic Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) and the ability to accurately assign estimated items to the established WBS
- Proficiency with bids from $50K to $5M, for commercial and industrial projects
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite Programs such as; Excel, Word, Outlook
- Ability to set and balance priorities in order to complete projects on time
- Ability to make decisions and recommend appropriate course of action in difficult situations
- Ability to communicate effectively, both written and verbal
- Ability to handle stress and possess positive characteristics even in difficult or challenging situations
- Ability to attend training sessions, seminars and appropriate educational classes required by department
- Ability to train personnel in estimating processes and software as required
Physical Demand/Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by the incumbent to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the incumbent is regularly required to type, talk and hear, sit, stand, walk, reach with arms and hands. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Visual Acuity: must be adequate to perform all required tasks in a safe manner.
The incumbent will be based in the employer’s corporate office in Anchorage, Alaska. Frequent travel to other work locations may be required as necessary – North Dakota, West Texas, and North Slope of Alaska. The travel requirements of this position will be dependent upon company needs, and may require incumbent to travel up to 50% of the time. Incumbent must be willing and able to travel as required by job assignments and duties.