Group Strategy Director
At DDB, we believe that creativity is the most powerful force in business. We strive to maintain a culture that is wildly creative and as human as the work that we do.
By bringing together diverse thinkers with different backgrounds and perspectives, we validate Bill Bernbach's notion that an idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.
We seek out people who challenge themselves, have a relentless curiosity, and overcome anything thrown their way.
The Group Strategy Director is an expert in building brands that impact culture, drive business and create emotional resonance with consumers. This person is a nimble strategic thinking that "knows enough to be dangerous" about all parts of the marketing mi and specializes in partnering with creatives to create unexpected work that has an outsized impact in the market.
In its simplest terms, this position is about proving that Creativity is the Most Powerful Force in Business.
- Has an ambition for the brands we lead, and a plan for how to get them there
- Inspires original creative ideas among every team member (creative, account, clients, partner agencies)
- Stays engaged in the crafting and selling of ideas, always finding ways to make the work better and more impactful
- Evangelizes insights and POVs to trigger original creative ideas among every team member in every aspect of a brand’s behavior
- Leverages client trust to help take business-appropriate risks and knows where any given assignment fits into overall strategy
- Collaborates with Creative Department to ensure creative product is the highest quality, meets client objectives and leads the category
- Uncovers opportunities to maximize current marketing plans, engage customers in new ways, and increase customer loyalty through integrated communications solutions
- Encourages the exploration of innovative ideas, including non-traditional media options
- Feels as comfortable writing headlines and commenting on directors treatments as they do crafting comms plans and running focus groups
- Develops innovative consumer insight(s) for specific client’s brand issue
- Makes the strategic choices necessary to give clear and single-minded direction for all of the brand’s actions
- Works to keep simplicity and focus over time – always with an eye toward creative output
- Synthesizes large amounts of data into actionable insights
- Always exploring new ways to understand how effective we are, from forming KPIs to working with clients on research and testing approaches
- Able to translate client feedback into actionable creative guidance, in real time
- Develops projects / white papers that improve the quality of the agency’s work and publishes these as appropriate
Knowledge & Skills
- Strong understanding (how to use, strength and weakness, etc.) of tools that allow us to understand the effectiveness of our work. Cross-pollinates ideas from new sources including consumer understanding, wider trends and forecasts and internal DDB tools and resources
- Networks with internal experts and industry contacts to keep informed of trends and issues affecting the client’s business
- Stays current on as much relevant research as necessary to keep clients’ brands and agency’s reputation ahead of competitors
Relationships / Communication
- Develops excellent relationships with senior managers within the client organization
- Is the senior strategist in the development, with the client, of long-range brand planning and annual communications plan
- Brings the team together by creating shared thinking about our brands and our consumers
- Provides a POV (verbal and written), which is so persuasive and inspiring, it, can convert a skeptic on the team to an advocate
- Is the advocate for the single minded strategic idea with all partners
- Delivers compelling presentations and facilitates internal and client meetings
- Is equally passionate about “better results” as “better ideas”
- Creates an environment for continuous learning to ever increase the effectiveness of our solutions across all media channels
- Generates a high level of passion among the entire team
- Displays empathy and decisiveness
- Keeps an eye out for good talent, knows what makes a strong DDB employee
- Rewards and motivates people allowing them to step up and encouraging them to lead their own career development
- Leads team to establish appropriate measures of success and criteria for judging performance
- 10+ years experience as strategist on global brands, preferable at creatively-driven agencies
- Has the proven ability to create consensus and strategic direction from multiple opinions
- Has proven examples of idea generation that created winning brand strategies. Is able to employ both imagination and rigor to take an idea from good to inspiring
- Exhibits intense curiosity about human nature and the world we live in. Is observant, open-minded and receptive to new experiences from which he/she can learn
- Has a reputation for being able to tap into the minds of others – learns about attitudes, opinion, interests and motivations from multiple audiences
- Has consistently displayed an understanding of the methods and procedures commonly used in advertising and marketing research that have provided a foundation for drawing valid conclusions and implications from client studies.
DDB is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and to review all of our job postings to minimize biased language. DDB NY does not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other basis protected by applicable local, state or federal law.