Senior/Lead Developer (Java, Ruby, or C#)
About Ramsey Solutions:
Founded in 1992 by Dave Ramsey, Ramsey Solutions exists to provide biblically based, commonsense education and empowerment that give HOPE to everyone in every walk of life. Our mission to change the world isn’t easy. We experience resistance every day because what we believe is absolutely counter-cultural. We’re weird. We actually hate debt. We actually cut up our credit cards . . . like, for real. We don’t use them in our entire business. We don’t use debt. Period. Some of us are still fighting our way out of it, but we aren’t going back in. If you don’t know much about Ramsey Solutions or our founder Dave Ramsey, go watch a bunch of these videos and then come back and finish reading.
About the Development team:
Our current tech stack is Ruby on Rails backed by Java-based RESTful microservices. We follow Agile methodologies, specifically Kanban. We’re leveraging CI/CD, TDD, and cloud (AWS) infrastructure.
Our applications serve millions of users in life-changing ways. We have over 140 developers in-house working across 15 different digital product areas, who all want to help people take control of their money and their lives. Our business leaders understand trade-offs and let their team weigh in on matters of value and effort. Many of our teams deliver to production several times a week (around 700 deployments!) and deliver business value from concept to product in a matter of days.
What winning in this role looks like:
- Building world-class consumer web applications
- Mentoring junior developers in programming, design, and architecture best practices and principles
- Collaborating with team members to create technical solutions
- Practicing test-driven development
- Creating solid documentation
- Learning new things (every day!)
The skills you need to win:
- 6-10+ years of experience in object-oriented web application development (Ruby, Java, C#––we’re open to experience with a variety of languages, as long as you’re willing to learn our tech stack!)
- Great understanding of relational databases
- Experience building applications that scale and in accordance with industry best practices
- Ability to provide mentorship with a teacher’s heart
- Dedication to excellent communication across teams (QA, UX, Creative, Marketing and other Development teams); understanding of the greater impact your work has on peer teams
- Unafraid of stepping outside of your area of expertise
- Experience with Agile product development (Scrum or Kanban preferred)
"When I ship code, it adds to a living, breathing system of APIs that handle all sorts of things you can imagine. Applications like SmartDollar, EveryDollar, and Financial Peace University are changing lives in measurable and immeasurable ways! The better the platform is, the better those applications perform and can be expanded on. That equals better user experience, that equals faster delivery rate of features that our users want, and it equals unsurpassed excellence in what we do. TL;DR Ship platform code –> Enable app devs –> Unparalleled user life change." –Developer III, Financial Wellness
"Most of my work revolves around serving other developers. I build tools that other developers use to increase their efficiency on the job. I write documentation to help developers understand the tools I built and the platforms they work on. While I don't necessarily interact directly with our fans, I know that improving the lives of our developers equals more fans' lives changed. I've also been changed by working here. Working at Ramsey Solutions is so much more than simply writing code. The relationships and growth I've experienced here in only one year are incredible." –Developer III, daveramsey.com
Our Team Member Benefits:
And by the way, we’re not stuffy and corporate around here. We protect our culture and care about your work environment. Our leadership really communicates and listens! Because of that, we offer perks and benefits such as . . .
- 401(k) match on first 4%
- HSA match: $500 a year
- World-renowned speakers on a weekly basis
- Ministry time: We pay you for one full workweek, so you can volunteer for your favorite charity or nonprofit
- Ongoing personal and professional development training by the best in the industry
- Core values that promote work-life balance, excellence in the ordinary, and a self-employed mentality
- Wellness reimbursement to put toward hitting the gym
- Free Costco or Sam’s Club membership
- Working with amazing people in a culture where we recognize each other’s wins and celebrate together often with monthly lunches and on-the-clock, fun activities such as our company-wide Spelling Bee, annual Battle of the Bands, and one legendary Christmas Party
If you want to know how it feels to work in a place that respects the balance of work, family, and fun, hit that apply button. We can’t wait to hear from you!
Are you an experienced developer who isn't ready to apply but is interested in hearing more? Click here to request an informal virtual coffee meeting with one of our developers!