Senior Copy Editor
Attention, grammar geeks!
Dave Ramsey’s company is looking for a highly skilled, detail-obsessed, professional copy editor with a great attitude and ridiculously high work ethic. Is that you?
Don’t waste your time unless you’re ready to jump into the deep end of the pool! Our Content Development team writes and edits everything that goes out of the company—from blog content and magazine articles to emails and training materials. If you’ve ever seen a scrap of paper with words on it from Ramsey Solutions, you’ve seen our work. And we need help getting all our commas, em dashes and ellipses in order!
The perfect candidate has at least five years of experience in professional copy editing (i.e., not just editing your college roommate’s papers) and is comfortable with The Associated Press Stylebook and The Chicago Manual of Style. This is not an entry level position. Ideally, this is an editor with experience editing magazine articles, web content and marketing assets. We’re not looking for a writer who can edit. We’re looking for a copy editor who loves editing copy—period.
The copy editor will provide a thorough, detailed review of all written pieces—for both web and print—prior to publication. They will be responsible for finalizing content that is error-free when it comes to typographical errors, grammatical accuracy, clarity and readability as well as AP, Chicago and our in-house style guidelines.
- Ensure every written piece is edited and promptly returned to the original writer for finalization.
- Strive for mastery in The AP Stylebook, The Chicago Manual of Style and Ramsey Solutions’ own writing style standards.
- Demonstrate proficiency in editing electronically with Microsoft Word’s “Track Changes” feature. Familiarity with Adobe InCopy is a plus.
- Serve as fact-checker to verify the accuracy of statistics, Scripture references, names, dates, phone numbers, addresses, URLs, etc. in every written piece.
- Make sure all written content is in line with Ramsey Solutions’ message, statistics, tone and voice.
- Contribute to the ongoing development of Ramsey Solutions’ writing style standards.
- 5–7 years of professional copy editing experience
- Working knowledge of AP and/or Chicago Style Guides
- Copy editing certification preferred
- Strong communication skills and an ability to work collaboratively with writers, marketers, content strategists and team leaders
- An open mind and teachable spirit: We don’t edit like other companies, so sometimes we break the rules. (But you have to know the rules in order to break them.)