Rights and Permissions Specialist
Rights and Permissions Specialist
At Curriculum Associates (CA), we believe a diverse team leads to diversity in thinking, making our products better for teachers and students. If you read this job description, feel energized by what you see here, and believe you could bring passion and commitment to the role, but you aren’t sure you meet every qualification, please apply! Above all, we are looking for the right person!
Reporting up through the Operations team, this position’s responsibility is to manage our text, illustration, and photo rights. This role works closely with external contacts, both licensing vendors, and directly with authors or publishers, and internal teams across operations, creative, editorial, and legal. The ideal candidate will have a strong understanding of understanding the rights management aspect of educational publishing, product development life cycles, experience liaising between internal and external teams, and a working knowledge of how to manage digital and print permissions relationships and contracts.
The impact you'll have:
- Maintaining the current tracking system to know the key pieces of data around all rights managed assets used in Ready products
- Negotiating license renewal across Ready and I-Ready, ensuring that product development plans and product use cases are incorporated into updated agreements; process all contracts and payments with cross-functional teams
- Maintaining processes and templates for adding new content licenses to master tracker for ongoing maintenance
- Support and implement improvements to the existing tracking mechanisms and overall management of permissioned text metadata
- Communicating with multiple photo researchers within the design teams (internal and vendor)
- Liaison between legal, marketing and project teams to ensure that all content and photos used in promotional materials are explicitly allowed.
- Manage communicate with project teams including project managers, editorial, production, design team members to help inform Rights/Permissions decisions on new product development
- Manage the overall print and digital Rights/Permissions budget.
- Communicate status of Rights/Permissions to stakeholders as related to existing project budgets
- Manage future budget projections and forecasts
- Administrative experience with budgets, communication, and data tracking
- Comfort managing the thousands of small details of text and photo permissions while also staying ahead of the big picture
- Analytical and critical thinking skills
- The ability to:
- Foster and maintain a collaborative team dynamic
- Solve problems creatively
- Plan and organize
- Communicate clearly, both by speaking directly and writing concisely
- Negotiate and manage conflict
- Learn quickly and adapt to new/changing priorities
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment, and a demonstrated record of previous achievement
- A team player who works productively and cooperatively with a wide range of people and styles
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Proven experience managing successful complex rights management of K-12 curriculum programs.
- Experience with both print and digital curriculum materials
- Demonstrated success partnering with cross-functional teams
- Strong familiarity with project management software tools & budget tracking.
- Strong familiarity with permissions contracts, tracking, methodologies, and best practices
Location: Currently, all Curriculum Associates employees are working remotely due to Covid-19. We welcome fully/permanently remote employee for this position. Willingness to work East Coast business hours (9 a.m. – 5 p.m. EST) is required.
Compensation & Benefits: Competitive salary with great benefits including health, dental, and vision insurance, employer contributed 401K.
Curriculum Associates, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Curriculum Associates, LLC will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, genetic information, or any other category protected by law. Curriculum Associates, LLC will grant employment, without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, genetic information, or any other category protected by law. Such action shall include, but not be limited to, the following: employment, upgrading, demotion, transfer, recruitment or recruitment advertising, layoff or termination, rates of pay or other forms of compensation.
Our company uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.uscis.gov/e-verify.