At Curriculum Associates (CA), we believe a diverse team leads to diversity in thinking, making our products better for teachers and students. If you read this job description, feel energized by what you see here, and believe you could bring passion and commitment to the role, but you aren’t sure you meet every qualification, please apply! Above all, we are looking for the right person!
This role will join our Finance and Accounting Team as the Director of Revenue and will lead the day-to-day operations of our revenue accounting function. This role will leverage technical expertise with US GAAP, and specifically ASC 606, to identify accounting implications and impacts to customers. They will collaborate with team members cross-functionally to develop operational processes that help us scale revenue recognition accounting processes. This role will strategize cross functionally on all components of revenue with members of Finance, Sales, and Legal to provide technical expertise to develop policies, processes, controls, and systems ensuring scalable, nimble and growth, including accuracy and excellence in revenue recognition guidance. This position will play a key role in implementing strategic practices to help the Company prepare potentially be an SEC registrant. The successful candidate will be excited to develop great reporting, assist with creating valuable KPIs for FP&A and work in a team to help grow and scale the company!
The impact you’ll have:
- Lead revenue recognition activities including technical revenue recognition, monthly revenue close, and deal desk review.
- Build strong strategic relationships with key stakeholders (legal, operations, sales, finance & strategy, etc.) to collaborate on both routine and non-routine transactions, new product offerings and process improvements.
- Partner with Finance & Strategy to support M&A activity including diligence and integration.
- Drive career development for the revenue accounting team, providing the leadership and structure for the team to excel as the company grows.
- Identify risk areas in a high growth environment and implement mitigation strategies, including but not limited to team structure, workflow, cross-functional collaboration and system and process changes.
- Serve as a key stakeholder in the design and implementation of system projects impacting the revenue accounting team including implementing a revenue tool.
- Enhance existing operational processes to provide excellent service to our business partners while ensuring efficiency and accuracy and our results.
- Review customer agreements to evaluate revenue recognition impacts and propose solutions that align with internal policies and company objectives.
- Create and maintain revenue accounting policies and advise on the implementation of new accounting conclusions.
- Participate in key strategic initiatives and assist with other ad hoc projects.
- Maintain relationship with external auditors, provide pragmatic solutions and alternatives to challenging audit requests and inquiry requirements.
- Strong technical revenue accounting knowledge of US GAAP and specifically ASC 606.
- Exhibit our leadership capabilities of leading the team, leading themselves, and leading CA.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills including active listening and the ability to articulate complex issues to a variety of audiences.
Who we’re looking for:
- You have a Bachelor's degree in accounting or finance required
- You are a CPA
- You possess 10+ years of experience working in a combination of auditing and revenue accounting in the software industry
- You have a minimum of 4 years of prior experience with revenue recognition in a software license and services environment including management
- You possess strong analytical skills and experience working cross functionally with Finance, Legal and Sales to identify accounting issues proactively and research applicable US GAAP implications as necessary
- You own a comprehensive and current understanding of U.S. GAAP revenue recognition and contract cost guidance, including ASC 606 and ASC 340-40
- You maintain advanced skills in Excel/spreadsheet modeling
- You have a proven ability to interpret and apply accounting guidance and prepare formal, well-supported, memo’s and supporting analyses
- You possess strong organizational skills, ability to prioritize competing projects and adhere to deadlines
- You have high emotional intelligence, ability to build and sustain relationships at multiple levels
- You are an exceptional communication skills with the ability to translate complex and technical information to audiences of non-expert stakeholders
- You own a solutions-focused mindset - vision with the ability to apply practical solutions and navigate through ambiguity in the Sales cycle
- You are comfortable collaborating across internal departments as well as working independently on multiple time-sensitive projects across multiple disciplines and teams
- You are comfortable embracing and successfully driving/implementing change in a high-energy environment
We’d also like to see:
- SEC reporting experience strongly preferred, either through client service or working at a public company
- Preferred experience with Salesforce CPQ, Workday, and revenue recognition tools like RevPro
Location: Currently, all CA employees are remote due to COVID-19 precautions. Once restrictions are lifted, this role will be based in our North Billerica, MA offices. Hires will have the option of a flexible schedule that requires two-days-a-week in office.
Curriculum Associates, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Curriculum Associates, LLC will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, genetic information, or any other category protected by law. Curriculum Associates, LLC will grant employment, without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, genetic information, or any other category protected by law. Such action shall include, but not be limited to, the following: employment, upgrading, demotion, transfer, recruitment or recruitment advertising, layoff or termination, rates of pay or other forms of compensation.
Our company uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.uscis.gov/e-verify.