At Curriculum Associates (CA), we believe a diverse team leads to diversity in thinking, making our products better for teachers and students. If you read this job description, feel energized by what you see here, and believe you could bring passion and commitment to the role, but you aren’t sure you meet every qualification, please apply! Above all, we are looking for the right person!
Founded in 1969, Curriculum Associates is a leading educational technology and publishing company with a mission to make classrooms better places for students and teachers. As a company, we have both a responsibility and the opportunity to reduce the effects of systemic racism for the students, educators, and educational communities we serve and for our team members. We are committed to ensuring CA is a champion of antiracist ideals in our service to schools, in our products, and in our company culture. Our research-based, award-winning print and digital instruction and assessment products provide educators with the tools necessary to personalize learning for every student and help all students become college and career-ready.
The Accounting Manager will be responsible for the advancement of the capabilities of our Accounting and Finance function. This role will be responsible for the monthly close process, general accounting, and adoption of accounting guidance, reporting, team development, and process improvements to gain efficiencies. The Accounting Manager will collaborate with leadership in Accounting, Finance, Tax, Treasury, Legal, and Operations to ensure strong controls and accurate reporting for Curriculum Associates. This role offers a tremendous opportunity to make a positive impact with a growing company. The successful candidate will be excited to go beyond the traditional accounting responsibilities and work in a team to help grow and scale the company!
The impact you’ll have:
- Perform month-end close activities, including preparation and review of journal entries, variance analysis, and reconciliations for various balance sheet and income statement accounts
- Review accounting transactions to ensure they recorded in accordance with GAAP
- Research and prepare written technical accounting memos and positions for current technical accounting items
- Lead monthly Flash call (BS and P&L) and collaborate with FP&A on variance/flux analysis
- Review financial statements for inclusion in monthly financial statement package
- Responsible for the development of direct reports within the Accounting team
- Collaborate with legal, finance, engineering, product, and sales teams to provide guidance on accounting, process, and/or policy issues around revenue recognition
- Help monitor/implement ASC 606, ASC 718, ASC 842, and other guidance
- Document financial processes, accounting policies, and standard operating procedures
- Participate in and help lead essential accounting projects including audit readiness and management reporting
- Proactively seek out opportunities to document and align accounting policies
- Partner to review and ensure accurate presentation of financial statements and footnote disclosures in accordance with US GAAP
- Review and assess current Accounting process/procedures for efficiency gains
- Support other team members in identifying and driving process improvement
- Partner with Controller to drive streamlined ERP solution(s) including COA and core reports
- Coach, mentor and develop a robust team to support their growth/professional development. Included but not limited to goal setting and career development of team members
Who we’re looking for:
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance or Accounting; CPA required
- 6+ years of experience, with 2+ years of experience leading a team
- Experience working in a combination of public accounting and technical accounting; Big 4 preferred, growth-stage business a plus
- Must have in-depth understanding of SaaS digital software industry
- Advanced working knowledge of Excel (Pivot tables, Vlookups, nested IF statements)
- Proven ability to work cross-functionally with Finance, Legal, Product, and Sales to proactively identify accounting issues, research applicable US GAAP
- Strong analytical skills: including proven ability to independently analyze transactions and contracts and document the related accounting analysis under GAAP
- Previous experience with Workday ERP preferred
- A team player and commitment to deliver outstanding results while having a fun time with your teammates doing it!
Compensation & Benefits: Competitive salary with great benefits including health, dental, and vision insurance, employer contributed 401K.
Location: Currently, all Curriculum Associates employees are working remotely due to Covid-19. Once it is safe to go back into the office, we anticipate this position will be required to work out of our Billerica, MA office.
Curriculum Associates, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Curriculum Associates, LLC will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, genetic information, or any other category protected by law. Curriculum Associates, LLC will grant employment, without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, genetic information, or any other category protected by law. Such action shall include, but not be limited to, the following: employment, upgrading, demotion, transfer, recruitment or recruitment advertising, layoff or termination, rates of pay or other forms of compensation.
Our company uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.uscis.gov/e-verify.