2021 Psychometric and Research Internship - Full time, paid position from June to August (Remote)
The Curriculum Associates Psychometric and Research Summer 2021 Internship
Curriculum Associates (CA) is seeking doctoral students for a summer internship focused on psychometric and research projects related to the award-winning i-Ready® Diagnostic, as well as the nationally recognized i-Ready Personalized Instruction system.
About Curriculum Associates
Founded in 1969, CA is a leading educational technology and publishing company with a mission to make classrooms better places for students and teachers. As a company, we have both a responsibility and the opportunity to reduce the effects of systemic racism for the students, educators, and educational communities we serve and for our own team members. We are committed to ensuring CA is a champion of antiracist ideals in our service to schools, in our products, and in our company culture. Our research-based, award-winning print and digital instruction and assessment products provide educators with the tools necessary to personalize learning for every student and help all students become college and career ready.
At CA, we believe a diverse team leads to diversity in thinking, making our products better for teachers and students. If you read this job description, feel energized by what you see here, and believe you could bring passion and commitment to the role, but you aren’t sure you meet every qualification, please apply! Above all, we are looking for the right person!
About the Internship
The CA Psychometric and Research Summer Interns will work on both operational psychometric and research projects and will also have the opportunity to get exposure to many aspects of the assessment design and development process including observing a standard setting and a Technical Advisory Committee meeting. Specifically, interns will:
- Analyze the large datasets at CA, which include some of the most extensive assessment and instructional data in the nation.
- Collaborate with other members of the assessment development, psychometrics, and research teams.
- Learn about how an operational computerized adaptive assessment is managed.
Interns will focus on at least one major project with the goal of presenting findings at a national conference. Some general topics include the following:
- Psychometric modeling of the i-Ready Instruction lesson quizzes.
- Develop instructional profiles based on longitudinal usage metrics.
- Examine the relationship between diagnostic duration, number of testing sessions, and student engagement.
- Research related to the COVID-19 pandemic and/or inequities in our educational systems.
- Assist in the development and refinement of a validity argument for i-Ready Instruction.
- Investigate IRT calibration requirements in a vertically scaled CAT.
- Investigate and define requirements for a representative equating sample to implement through a continuous field test design.
- Develop data visualization options for IRT and classical item statistics.
- Explore DIF methodologies for large scale assessments in a CAT environment.
Note that the lists above are not exhaustive. Interns may find interest in a project not listed here or may develop a research question of their own.
Qualifications for Interns
Candidates for the internship will ideally have the following qualifications:
- Currently pursuing a doctorate in an educational measurement or related field. A preference will be given to students with at least two years of doctoral-level coursework completed by the start of the internship.
- Must have intermediate proficiency in data manipulation and analysis in SAS and/or R.
- Must have a strong interest in applied psychometrics and research that impacts student learning.
Funding, Length, and Location of Internship
- Interns will work remotely for eight weeks during the summer, ideally from June 14-August 6. Flexibility can be offered in the internship dates if needed.
- Interns will be considered temporary employees of Curriculum Associates.
- Interns work 40 hours/week and will be paid $25 per hour (equivalent to $8,000 for 8 weeks).
Questions and Next Steps
- Please provide the following information in your application:
- A cover letter indicating your preference between the psychometric and research track and outlining your current research interests, the reason for your interest in the internship, and the name of your advisor. Please submit this in the section called "Add Cover Letter" under the "Additional Files" section of the application.
- A current resume / CV.
- A letter from your advisor that indicates your advisor is supportive of your involvement in the internship at this point in your graduate work. Please submit this in the section called "Add Portfolio" under the "Additional Files" section of the application.
- Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, with a final deadline of March 5, 2021 at 5:00pm ET. Potential interns will be interviewed over video and final selections will be made in mid-March.
Curriculum Associates, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Curriculum Associates, LLC will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, genetic information, or any other category protected by law. Curriculum Associates, LLC will grant employment, without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, genetic information, or any other category protected by law. Such action shall include, but not be limited to, the following: employment, upgrading, demotion, transfer, recruitment or recruitment advertising, layoff or termination, rates of pay or other forms of compensation.
Our company uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.uscis.gov/e-verify.