Director, Instructional Assessment
Our goal is to make classrooms better places for students and teachers. By providing high-quality, research-based, engaging, culturally sustaining content to the schools we serve, along with assessment tools for setting high expectations, we believe that we can help schools create a learning environment where every student succeeds.
This role is part of the Assessment Programs team and reports to the Senior Director of Assessment Programs. The Assessment Programs team and the Assessment Editorial team together make up the Assessment Design team, which is led by the Associate Vice President of Assessment. In this role, you will lead the collaboration between Assessment and Instruction on the design and development of digital and print instructional assessments in Curriculum Associates instructional products for K-12 ELA and Math, including i-Ready lesson quizzes, comprehension checks, Magnetic Reading curricular assessments, custom state assessments, and digital learning games. You will work with a dynamic, hard-working team of directors, project managers, and editors focused on improving how we assess students’ knowledge and skills in our instructional products.
The impact you'll have:
· Your deep knowledge of assessment design principles will guide the development of our instruction products’ assessment claims, blueprints, test construction, and guide the analysis of student performance data to help educators make instructional decisions and to drive product improvements
· You will become an expert in our digital and print instructional assessment products, deeply aware of the latest industry trends including those in digital assessment, the assessment needs of our district customers, and issues faced by teachers in the classroom
· You will work with Assessment, Instruction, and Product Directors on instructional assessment project strategy, scope, budgets, and resourcing, making decisions and recommendations for short- and long-term planning and prioritization that aligns with the company product roadmap
· You will advise and work closely with assessment experts on the Assessment Editorial team as they serve as advisors, trainers, and content reviewers to Instruction teams on instructional assessment design and content development
· You will guide the development of and maintain Reading and Math assessment guidelines, blueprints, and supporting documentation for all Curriculum Associates instructional assessments, overseeing all of the Assessment team’s work on instructional assessments
· You will serve as an expert and advocate for culturally- and linguistically-responsive assessment practices and design across all Curriculum Associates products as we continue to deepen our diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives
· Your expert leadership and proven ability to communicate and build rapport with senior leadership and cross-functional teams will play a central role in the company’s approach to instructional assessment; your thoughtfully-delivered, constructive feedback will help to ensure assessment best practices are implemented throughout our instructional products
· You will work with Assessment Directors on organizational and personnel initiatives such as professional development, vendor quality assurance, and balancing team morale and work/life balance with business needs
· Your contacts in the education and assessment fields may serve to contribute as academic advisors, expert practitioner advisors, and/or assessment development contractors, you will present at industry conferences, and you may take on personnel management responsibilities in the future
Who we're looking for:
· Extensive knowledge and experience in the development of assessments using evidence-based backwards design principles, starting with a theory of action, and moving to the development of claims, blueprints, and test specifications
· Extensive experience and expertise in digital and adaptive assessment design, development, and best practices
· Proven ability to lead collaborative efforts with multiple team members and stakeholders, communicate and provide feedback effectively, and inspire innovation in teams
· Proven ability to synthesize data and feedback from stakeholders, assessment design principles and best practices, and market and business priorities to strategize instructional assessment solutions
· Proven ability to develop long-term and near-term budgets, scope documentation, resourcing plans, and test specifications
· Adaptable and accountable in setting, meeting, and communicating deadlines and project goals
· Proven ability to conduct, document, and report research, and lead initiatives as an expert on instructional assessment design
· Passion for ensuring diverse, equitable, and inclusive assessment experiences for students of all backgrounds
· Strong analytical/critical and creative thinking skills
· Ability to work in a self-directed way
· Comfort working with new technologies such as content management systems, Microsoft Office products, and virtual meeting spaces
· Open and responsive to feedback and review
· A degree in education, assessment, or equivalent experience. Master’s degree strongly preferred.
· A minimum of 12 years of professional experience in assessment design and editing.
· A minimum of 5 years of professional teaching or related experience
· Subject matter expertise in K-12 reading or math
· Deep understanding of statistics and statistical inference with respect to assessment measurement
· In-school experience in a role involving assessment is strongly preferred
Location: We encourage folx from across the U.S. to apply to this role!
Compensation and Benefits: Equitable pay and great benefits including health, dental, and vision insurance, employer contributed 401K.
Curriculum Associates, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Curriculum Associates, LLC will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, genetic information, or any other category protected by law. Curriculum Associates, LLC will grant employment, without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, genetic information, or any other category protected by law. Such action shall include, but not be limited to, the following: employment, upgrading, demotion, transfer, recruitment or recruitment advertising, layoff or termination, rates of pay or other forms of compensation.
Our company uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.uscis.gov/e-verify.
Information that you provide when applying for employment with Curriculum Associates, LLC may be subject to the California Consumer Privacy Act. Click here for more information about our data-collection practices and your rights related to that data.