Senior/Principal Research Scientist
Curriculum Associates is seeking an experienced measurement professional to join our psychometric team. The Senior/Principal Research Scientist position will report to the Senior Director of Psychometrics and will support the ongoing psychometric work for the i-Ready Diagnostic—a large-scale, K-12 computer-adaptive assessment in Reading and Math. In addition, the position will play a critical role in the development of the next generation of psychometric solutions for the i-Ready assessment programs.
Impact you'll have:
Core responsibilities include the following:
- Develop and manage a research agenda to drive decision making around enhancements to the i-Ready assessment programs.
- Independently design and conduct psychometric and research analyses for the i-Ready assessment programs.
- Provide input to engineering and product teams on capabilities needed to incorporate the next generation of psychometric solutions into the i-Ready assessment programs.
- Create and maintain technical specifications and documentation for the psychometric processes and procedures related to the i-Ready assessment programs.
- Conduct analyses necessary to support the ongoing maintenance of a computer adaptive testing program, including field testing, item calibration, and item drift analysis.
- Collaborate closely with test developers to inform test design and item pool development.
- Manage and provide oversight for work conducted by vendors and contractors in support of ongoing psychometric analyses, next generation solutioning, and standard setting.
- Present research study plans and results to the Curriculum Associates’ Technical Advisory Committee for feedback.
Some secondary responsibilities may include:
- Mentor junior staff members and provide oversight and direction for psychometric work conducted by team members.
- Contribute to critical research initiatives in completion of the company’s multi-year validation and psychometric research agenda, often collaborating with the Research team.
- Represent Curriculum Associates and i-Ready related research via presentations, publications, conference attendance, and other professional development activities.
What we're looking for:
- Ph.D. in Educational Measurement, Psychometrics, Educational Psychology, Quantitative Psychology, or related field.
- For Senior Research Scientist, at least 5 years of experience conducting operational psychometrics for large scale assessment programs, preferably including experience in K-12 educational testing. For Principal Research Scientist, at least 10 years of experience.
- Demonstrated experience with applying both item response theory (IRT) and classical test theory (CTT) methods.
- Proficiency in statistical programming – SAS (preferred) or R.
- Ability to manipulate, clean, and maintain large, complex datasets in SAS (preferred) or R.
- Proficiency with industry standard measurement software (e.g., Winsteps, FlexMIRT).
- Experience in designing and conducting empirical research studies.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with a proven ability to clearly and completely document psychometric analysis procedures and support the choice of a particular analytic technique in a clear and compelling manner.
- Proven ability to manage multiple complex projects while maintaining attention to detail.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and adapt to changing priorities as product needs shift or critical customer issues arise.
- Detailed knowledge of key state and national policies on educational assessment.
- Experience managing an operational CAT program including ongoing monitoring of item pools, fine tuning content balancing algorithms, and working with live and simulated data strongly preferred.
Less than 20% of total time including attendance at team meetings, TAC meetings, planning meetings, and conferences.
This is a remote position and the entire psychometrics team works remotely from various locations across the US. However, if desired, the candidate may work out of Curriculum Associates offices in Chicago, IL; North Billerica, MA; or Brooklyn, NY.
Curriculum Associates, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Curriculum Associates, LLC will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, genetic information, or any other category protected by law. Curriculum Associates, LLC will grant employment, without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, genetic information, or any other category protected by law. Such action shall include, but not be limited to, the following: employment, upgrading, demotion, transfer, recruitment or recruitment advertising, layoff or termination, rates of pay or other forms of compensation.
Our company uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.uscis.gov/e-verify.