At Curriculum Associates (CA), we believe a diverse team leads to diversity in thinking, making our products better for teachers and students. If you read this job description, feel energized by what you see here, and believe you could bring passion and commitment to the role, but you aren’t sure you meet every qualification, please apply! Above all, we are looking for the right person!
This role will join our Finance and Accounting Team and will be responsible for managing revenue recognition accounting processes. You will work with cross functional members of Finance, Sales, and Legal departments to provide technical expertise on policies, processes, and controls to ensure that all software license and professional services agreements comply with applicable external revenue recognition guidance and internal company policies. This position will play a key role in the adherence of ASC 606 and will be relied upon to identify and implement best practices to help the Company prepare to be an SEC registrant. The role will develop strong working relationships among cross-functional teams, including Sales, Legal, Operations and Finance. The successful candidate will be excited to develop great reporting, assist with creating valuable KPIs for FP&A and work in a team to help grow and scale the company!
The impact you’ll have:
- Lead and manage monthly, quarterly, and annual revenue accounting close activities, including all required analyses, balance sheet reconciliations, and technical memo’s/whitepapers to support timely and accurate revenue recognition and reporting
- Review and approve complex, multiple element arrangements to support compliance with applicable external authoritative guidance (US GAAP and IFRS) and internal company policies
- Review contract costs (i.e., commission) for the appropriate accounting and capitalization under ASC 340-40
- Work closely with the FP&A department to support monthly and quarterly reporting / flux analyses for multiple revenue streams
- Work with cross-functional groups to ensure agreements are structured in a way that accomplish sales and business objectives while maintaining compliance with revenue recognition accounting requirements
- Manage ASC 606 revenue and ASC 340-40 cost requirements
- Design, document, implement and maintain effective accounting policies, procedures and controls (“SOX-like”) over revenue accounting cycle, including accounting for non-standard transactions, while ensuring internal controls are designed and operating effectively
- Identify efficiencies and drive improvements in revenue recognition processes and reporting
- Provide revenue recognition accounting expertise to Finance, Legal and Sales departments for non-standard transactions and develop or refine revenue accounting policies and procedures as new products and services are introduced
- Manage 1-2 revenue accountants, providing training and career development
- Own revenue portion of external audits
- Present periodic revenue recognition trainings to finance and other cross-functional team members
- Assist in integration of the revenue cycle with acquisitions
- Perform special projects and analyses on an ad-hoc basis, as required
Who we’re looking for:
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or finance required
- At least 6 years of accounting experience, including public accounting (high-growth software technology company also a plus)
- Minimum of 2 years of prior experience with revenue recognition in a software license and services environment
- Experience at a supervisory/manager level required
- Comprehensive and current understanding of U.S. GAAP revenue recognition and contract cost guidance, including ASC 606 and ASC 340-40
- Advanced skills in Excel/spreadsheet modeling
- You have a proven ability to interpret and apply accounting guidance and prepare formal, well-supported, memo’s and supporting analyses
- You are an exceptional communicator with the ability to translate complex and technical information to audiences of non-expert stakeholders
- You have a solutions-focused mindset - vision with the ability to apply practical solutions and navigate through ambiguity in the Sales cycle
- You are a team player, comfortable collaborating across internal departments as well as working independently on multiple time-sensitive projects across multiple disciplines and teams
- You are ready to embrace and successfully drive/implement change in a high-energy environment
We’d also like to see:
- CPA strongly preferred
- Salesforce.com experience preferred
- SEC reporting experience strongly preferred, either through client service or working at a public company
Location: Currently, all CA team members are working remotely due to COVID-19 safety considerations. When restrictions are lifted, this role will be based out of our North Billerica, MA or Greensboro, NC sites.
Curriculum Associates, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Curriculum Associates, LLC will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, genetic information, or any other category protected by law. Curriculum Associates, LLC will grant employment, without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, genetic information, or any other category protected by law. Such action shall include, but not be limited to, the following: employment, upgrading, demotion, transfer, recruitment or recruitment advertising, layoff or termination, rates of pay or other forms of compensation.
Our company uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.uscis.gov/e-verify.