Senior Manager, Tax
At Curriculum Associates (CA), we believe a diverse team leads to diversity in thinking, making our products better for teachers and students. If you read this job description, feel energized by what you see here, and believe you could bring passion and commitment to the role, but you aren’t sure you meet every qualification, please apply! Above all, we are looking for the right person!
Founded in 1969, Curriculum Associates is a leading educational technology and publishing company with a mission to make classrooms better places for students and teachers. As a company, we have both a responsibility and the opportunity to reduce the effects of systemic racism for the students, educators, and educational communities we serve and for our team members. We are committed to ensuring CA is a champion of antiracist ideals in our service to schools, in our products, and in our company culture. Our research-based, award-winning print and digital instruction and assessment products provide educators with the tools necessary to personalize learning for every student and help all students become college and career-ready.
The Senior Manager, Tax will be responsible for the advancement of the capabilities of our Tax function within Finance. This role will be responsible for tax planning and related compliance functions at Curriculum Associates. The Senior Manager, Tax will be required to complete research and document domestic tax issues, including coordination with external advisors, and support financial modeling and presentations of tax impacts in business plans. The role will lead the development and implementation of comprehensive domestic tax solutions to support business objectives and product launches. The role requires critical coordinating of communications with business teams and subject matter experts. Lastly, the role will develop strong working relationships among cross-functional teams, including Legal, Accounting, HR, Operations, and Finance. The successful candidate will be excited to develop a tax function and work in a team to help grow and scale the company!
The impact you’ll have:
- Assist in the preparation of the annual US (federal & state) tax provisions ensuring accurate and timely tax accounting disclosures, including working with external auditors to assist with their tax provision audit
- Assist in the preparation and review of indirect, federal, and state income tax filings with external advisors
- Analyze, prepare, and file state and local tax filing obligations, including nexus
- Develop, improve, and maintain all tax-related compliance and business processes
- Oversee reviews of all tax systems/processes for compliance function and recommend improvement initiatives for more efficiency and accuracy
- Provide tax forecasts (expense and cash impact) to FP&A for budgeting and forecasting purposes
- Support all federal/state/local initiated transaction tax audits and sales/use tax refund claims
- Support protests and appeals of audit deficiencies
- Respond to notices and lead state and local tax audits
- Propose and evaluate state and local tax planning strategies
- Plan for and develop overall tax compliance return calendar
- Calculate and file/pay federal and state extensions and quarterly estimated taxes
- Research tax issues and ensure company compliance with all relevant income tax laws
- Monitor and analyze new and developing tax legislation and technical tax issues and determine implications for the Company
- Prepare tax analyses and provide analytical support and assistance with special projects as needed
- Manage special projects including M&A and integration initiatives
- Business partner with IT and Operations to own indirect sales tax software solution
- Drive tax compliance in all other operational areas within CA like abandoned property, payroll taxes, etc.
- Maintain accurate tax information necessary for processing sales transactions, including but not limited to customer profiles and product information
Who we’re looking for:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or Taxation or equivalent experience
- 6 – 9 years of experience in a multi-state corporate environment or public accounting firm
- In-depth understanding of SaaS digital software industry
- Strong knowledge of ASC 740 accounting for income taxes including stock-based compensation, valuation analysis, and uncertain tax positions
- Knowledge of domestic corporate and indirect tax laws, along with a working understanding of international tax concepts
- Ability to effectively handle and prioritize multiple concurrent tasks
- Ability to understand and communicate complex tax matters to internal and external stakeholders
- Experience with tax-based research tools
- Advanced working knowledge of Excel (Pivot tables, Vlookups, nested IF statements)
- Proven ability to work cross-functionally with Finance, Legal, Product, and Sales to proactively identify Tax issues, research applicable US GAAP
- Self-motivated team player with good leadership skills who is confident in communicating with others and can work with minimal supervision
- Strong analytical skills, including proven ability to independently analyze transactions and contracts and document the related Tax analysis under GAAP
- A team player and commitment to deliver outstanding results while having a fun time with your teammates doing it!
We’d also love to see, but not required:
- CPA and/or MST
- Previous experience with Vertex
Pay Range – This role’s range is $110,500 - $175,000. The wage range for this role takes into account the wide range of factors that Curriculum Associates considers in making compensation decisions based on our Compensation Philosophy. Actual base pay within that range will vary based upon several factors including, but not limited to, prior experience and relevant skill sets. At Curriculum Associates, it is not typical for an individual to be hired at or near the top of the range for their role and compensation decisions are dependent on the facts and circumstances for each case. This role is also eligible to participate in the company bonus plan. The Company recognizes that minimum wage varies by location and will ensure all compensation decisions comply with applicable state and local laws.
Benefits – Benefit eligible employees (and their families) are covered by medical, dental, vision, and basic life insurance. Employees can enroll in our company’s 401k plan and receive an employer match. Employees have access to a flexible vacation and sick policy in addition to twelve paid holidays and a
winter office closure between Christmas and New Year's, as well as a number of additional perks and benefits
Curriculum Associates, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Curriculum Associates, LLC will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, genetic information, or any other category protected by law. Curriculum Associates, LLC will grant employment, without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, genetic information, or any other category protected by law. Such action shall include, but not be limited to, the following: employment, upgrading, demotion, transfer, recruitment or recruitment advertising, layoff or termination, rates of pay or other forms of compensation.
Our company uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.uscis.gov/e-verify.
Information that you provide when applying for employment with Curriculum Associates, LLC may be subject to the California Privacy Rights Act. Click here for more information about our data-collection practices and your rights related to that data.