Founded in 1969, Curriculum Associates (CA) is a leading educational technology and publishing company with a mission to make classrooms better places for students and teachers. As a company, we have both a responsibility and the opportunity to reduce the effects of systemic racism for the students, educators, and educational communities we serve and for our own team members. We are committed to ensuring CA is a champion of antiracist ideals in our service to schools, in our products, and in our company culture. Our research-based, award-winning print and digital instruction and assessment products provide educators with the tools necessary to personalize learning for every student and help all students become college and career ready.
At Curriculum Associates, we believe a diverse team leads to diversity in thinking, making our products better for teachers and students. If you read this job description, feel energized by what you see here, and believe you could bring passion and commitment to the role, but you aren’t sure you meet every qualification, please apply! Above all, we are looking for the right person!
The role will be responsible for accurate revenue recognition according to GAAP standards, as well as maintaining and reconciling accounts. This role will interact and coordinate with members of Finance, Sales, and Legal departments to ensure that all software license and professional services agreements are recorded in compliance with applicable external revenue recognition guidance and internal company policies. This role reports to the Manager of Revenue Accounting.
The impact you’ll have:
- Monthly preparation, review, analysis, and reconciliation of assigned revenue-related accounts
- Maintain and improve revenue schedules, ensuring proper GAAP accounting treatment
- Review revenue transactions monthly, while working with Customer Service, Sales Operations and Billing to ensure revenue for invoices have proper accounting
- Book monthly journal entries to record revenue in appropriate entities and ensure proper revenue recognition across all products in accordance with US GAAP
- Prepare reconciliations for unbilled/deferred revenue adjustments
- Partner with the Sales, Sales Operations, and Professional Development professionals to align appropriate revenue recognition process/method
- Ensure the consistent practice and application of Company’s revenue accounting policies, with attention to areas requiring judgement and estimates
- Maintain appropriate financial internal controls related to revenue recognition and assist with streamlining current processes and controls within revenue accounting
- Support annual year-end external audit by providing necessary data and addressing matters related to revenue
- Partner with sales operations team to support review of sales invoicing reports and bundling/multi element deals
- Work with cross-functional groups to ensure agreements are structured in a way that accomplish sales and business objectives while maintaining compliance with revenue recognition requirements
- Assist with compliance according to ASC 606 Revenue Recognition Standards (as example, cost for sales capitalization)
Who we are looking for:
- At least 4 years demonstrated experience in revenue recognition
- In-depth understanding of ASC 606
- Advanced working knowledge of Excel (Pivot tables, Vlookups, nested IF statements)
- Knowledge of GAAP revenue recognition principles; knowledge of software industry and SaaS revenue accounting a plus
- CPA or CPA candidate preferred
- Public accounting experience desired, but not required
- Comfort operating within a dynamic, complex organizational structure
- Ability to be flexible and collaborative with team on different projects and needs
- Ability to maintain positive business relationships with internal and external customers and solicit information as needed to ensure proper revenue recognition
Compensation: Competitive salary with great benefits including health, dental, and vision insurance, employer contributed 401K.
Curriculum Associates, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Curriculum Associates, LLC will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, genetic information, or any other category protected by law. Curriculum Associates, LLC will grant employment, without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, genetic information, or any other category protected by law. Such action shall include, but not be limited to, the following: employment, upgrading, demotion, transfer, recruitment or recruitment advertising, layoff or termination, rates of pay or other forms of compensation.
Our company uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.uscis.gov/e-verify.