Lead UX Researcher
At Curriculum Associates (CA), we believe a diverse team leads to diversity in thinking, making our products better for teachers and students. If you read this job description, feel energized by what you see here, and believe you could bring passion and commitment to the role, but you aren’t sure you meet every qualification, please apply! Above all, we are looking for the right person!
Apply your human-centered design research skills to help further our mission to make classrooms a better place for teachers and students. A Lead UX Researcher is a member of the UX Research team and will partner across work streams to explore what our users need by conducting primary research, exploring the behaviors and motivations of our users, and working with internal teams to build empathy and explore solutions as they create compelling and useful experiences. In this role, you will collaborate with product and design to inform overall research priorities, promote diverse thinking and a growth mindset, establish best practices, develop operational processes, provide coaching, managing and training to team members.
The impact you’ll have:
- Join the team in shaping a rigorous user research practice
- Lead the understanding of a certain user segment; become an expert and an advocate of the user segment
- Plan, conduct, analyze and report out on a broad range of user research studies, including project scoping, budgeting, field studies, usability testing (moderated and unmoderated), surveys, heuristic evaluations, journey maps, and competitive assessments
- Build collaborative partnerships and be a trusted partner to the design, product, educator success, sales and development teams throughout the design life cycle
- Take part in and influence product decisions from strategy through delivery and post launch improvement cycles
- Establish and uphold guidelines for a robust usability testing program with adults and children
- Help curate and grow an accessible body of knowledge that will serve teams long after studies are complete
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of internal processes
What we’re looking for:
- 7+ years of relevant work experience, including experience integrating qualitative and quantitative user research into product designs and design practices
- You have experience managing and mentoring a small number of junior UX Researchers
- You’re an expert in study session moderation/facilitation for in-depth-interviews, cognitive walkthroughs, usability studies, and contextual inquiry
- Strong understanding of the strengths and shortcomings of different user research methods, including when and how to apply them from discovery to production to postlaunch
- You’re an expert at analyzing, synthesizing and presenting actionable findings (eg., design considerations, opportunity statements, job-to-be-done statements) to a wide group of internal audiences and stakeholders
- You are a natural storyteller and communicate concisely and clearly in written communication and findings documentation
- You believe in testing and learning; making a hypothesis and testing with a prototype (paper, Axure, InVision, etc.) is the norm and you incorporate user centered design activities throughout the product design process
- You’re comfortable being part of a small, efficient team and moving between a consulting role and being embedded with selected teams
- This full-time role is located in our North Billerica home office, with occasional local or national travel to sites for research purposes (less than 25%)
- Undergraduate degree in HCI, journalism, psychology, anthropology or related fields; master’s degree a plus
- Prior K-12 education experience a plus
Location: North Billerica, MA or Brooklyn, NY
Curriculum Associates, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Curriculum Associates, LLC will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, genetic information, or any other category protected by law. Curriculum Associates, LLC will grant employment, without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, genetic information, or any other category protected by law. Such action shall include, but not be limited to, the following: employment, upgrading, demotion, transfer, recruitment or recruitment advertising, layoff or termination, rates of pay or other forms of compensation.
Our company uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.uscis.gov/e-verify.