Senior Interactive Designer, Accessibility
At Curriculum Associates, we believe a diverse team leads to diversity in thinking, making our products better for teachers and students. If you read this job description, feel energized by what you see here, and believe you could bring passion and commitment to the role, but you aren’t sure you meet every qualification, please apply! Above all, we are looking for the right person!
Are you a designer who loves thinking through complex challenges and finding creative solutions, and has a passion for creating experiences that are accessible for all?
Curriculum Associates is looking for an inspired and mission-driven Senior Interactive/UX Designer to design engaging and accessible learning experiences for our i-Ready Instruction and Practice products. Working closely with the Senior Director of Design, accessibility experts, developers and product team, you’re a strong analytical and conceptual thinker responsible for reviewing and improving our current product to ensure maximum accessibility for all users.
This role works across the ELA, Math, and User Experience domains, creating interactive prototypes, storyboards and wireframes, and creating final interface designs to meet the WCAG 2.0 standards. The right person will be deeply passionate about equitable design and transforming pedagogy and instructional materials into highly engaging student-facing experiences.
The impact you’ll have:
- Join a mission-driven company and team that are focused on developing educational resources that support anti-racist beliefs.
- Influence the creation of educational resources that are used by 8 million students across the country.
- Develop products in collaboration with the educators we serve, and work with industry leaders and organizations to ensure culturally responsive resources.
- Create new, engaging, and accessible experiences, and improve existing products to meet accessibility guidelines.
- Participate in accessibility reviews of interactive instruction and practice lessons, identifying areas that need amendment or further review with accessibility consultants and project teams.
- Collaborate with project teams, and developers to propose solutions that are user-focused, and maintain pedagogical goals.
- Use iterative and collaborative design techniques to prototype and test identified solutions via storyboards/sketches/wireframes and prototypes.
- Create high-fidelity comps, develop effective documentation, and collaborate closely with Agile development teams to ensure proper implementation of the designs.
What we’re looking for:
- 3+ years designing rich interactive and multi-media experiences (experience designing for children a plus)
- A track record of creating innovative and accessible products that improve user experience
- A deep understanding of accessibility standards, WCAG guidelines, Universal Design for Learning (UDL), and a commitment to a more equitable product that serves all students.
- A proven understanding of UX, UI, evidence-based user-centered design, and user engagement principles
- Strong knowledge of mobile and web interaction
- Highly detail-oriented and developed organizational skills, including the ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
- Strong information design, typographic and communication design skills
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills and a love for collaboration
- Proven ability to work as part of a production team in a highly collaborative and fast-paced environment
- A passion for exploration and consumption of all forms of media, apps and interactive software and the vision to apply them to K-8 education
- Proficient in prototyping software such as Adobe XD or InVision, and Adobe CC (PSD, AI, and Animate)
- Understanding of HTML5, iOS and other programming languages preferred
- A demonstrated record of previous achievement. Portfolio submission required to be considered.
We’d also love to see:
- Experience in K-8 curricula and/or children’s interactive media
Location: This role can be based in our Brooklyn, NY office, but strong remote candidates will be considered.
Curriculum Associates, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Curriculum Associates, LLC will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, genetic information, or any other category protected by law. Curriculum Associates, LLC will grant employment, without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, genetic information, or any other category protected by law. Such action shall include, but not be limited to, the following: employment, upgrading, demotion, transfer, recruitment or recruitment advertising, layoff or termination, rates of pay or other forms of compensation.
Our company uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.uscis.gov/e-verify.