Carolina CAT - Service Supervisor, Power Gen/Industrial Engine
Assist the Power Generation General Service Manager in all aspects of the Service Department, which provides service to generator customers with a focus on rental and industrial equipment repairs.
The primary duty of the position includes but is not limited to: Manage and supervise all service staff assigned. Work closely with other Service Supervisors, Service Manager and the Parts & Service Sales force to ensure fluid and timely customer service. Incumbent provides customer service that exceeds customer expectations and develops departmental profitability and growth. This position would be expected to learn the role and be able to move into the Service Manager position.
Position Responsibilities and Essential Duties:
- Manage and provide leadership for all shop services for industrial engines and equipment. This would include supervision of industrial and rental field services. Develop work processes and performance measurements to exceed the expectation and needs of individual customers, especially in the areas of price, quality and turnaround time. Ensure department delivers top level customer satisfaction. Responsible for developing customer relations in existing markets and growth markets. It is expected that customer issues will be addressed and resolved in an expedient manner – a sense of urgency is expected.
- Supervise, direct, motivate and provide leadership for all departmental staff. This includes performance evaluations, assessing skills and competencies, administering policy and procedures as it relates to the staff, coaching, mentoring and training. Incumbent assesses the required level of performance and assigns duties and compensation accordingly to ensure that the department functions efficiently and at capacity while maintaining employee satisfaction.
- Schedule and manage work for the assigned technicians, planned services and trouble calls.
- Closely collaborate with other Service Supervisors to share resources and knowledge- be a team builder.
- Monitor manufacturer product update letters to complete in a timely manner.
- Communicate with Caterpillar and other vendor parts and service representatives to assure our groups direction in best serving our customers.
- Monitor and forward oil sample results from the Oil Lab when an issue is reported.
- Collaborate with the parts department, our customers and technicians to acquire needed parts and stock to perform generator and industrial repairs.
- Embrace technology to improve the business.
- Be a model of Positive Engagement and exhibit an attitude that elevates others.
- Monitors and ensures compliance with all safety policies, procedures, guidelines and laws as it pertains to all departmental staff, company personnel with the department premises, and customers.
- Maintains all facilities and equipment in excellent, safe operating conditions to ensure the safety of all employees and customers.
- Learns to prepare the department budget and monitor the expenses to achieve the overall goals for the divisions’ profit and the company business plan.
- Maintains departmental profitability and growth through planning, staffing and work assignments.
- Works with the Service Manager direct reports to create and uphold the vision of the department and a plan of implementation.
Technician Contact Responsibilities:
- Manage daily workflow.
- Schedule daily workflow, planned repairs, trouble calls and PMs.
- Enforce safety practices within the service department.
- Set clear job expectations and communicate quote requirements to Lead Man and technicians.
- Promote professional appearance of service dept. employees and service trucks.
- Monitor and manage work in process to meet or better department benchmarks.
- Manage daily processes to ensure procedures are followed correctly.
- Training – Assess technician abilities to determine future training needs for each technician.
- Performance management- ensure conformance with all company and departmental goals for assigned area.
- Employee reviews, performance management, and administration.
- As an exempt position, supervisor is expected to work the appropriate hours to support the customer and business
- After hours emergency calls for service repairs as needed.
- Emergency Phone duties shared with other EPG supervisors/managers.
This position has supervisory responsibilities.
Essential Qualifications & Experience
- High School Degree or Equivalent. Two or Four Year Degree highly preferred.
- 7 years of experience as a mechanic, technician, foreman, parts counter person, dispatching/ scheduling or the equivalent in the parts, field service or shop repair departments, preferably with Caterpillar equipment.
- Electrical Engineering and Electrical Industry experience highly desired (Power Generation)
- Excellent mechanical aptitude. (Industrial Engine, small and medium size engine)
- Excellent verbal communication and listening skills, and strong written communication, presentation, and non-verbal skills.
- Strong leadership skills, including creative thinking, decision-making, planning and goal setting skills.
- Strong management skills, including interviewing and change, conflict, performance and project management skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, including influence, negotiation, coaching and counseling.
- Strong customer service skills and the ability to administer warranties.
- Strong analytical skills, including problem solving and the ability to interpret policies, procedures, guidelines and laws.
- A thorough knowledge of the product with strong respect for the Caterpillar influence and a good knowledge of the product market.
- Good computer skills, including experience with Microsoft Office software, including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint, database systems and the ability to operate CAT PC and Main Frame programs.
- The ability to uphold professionalism with both internal and external customers, including personal appearance and friendly, courteous treatment of peers, subordinates and customers.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. If you are unable to complete the application without an accommodation, please call 704-731-7701 for assistance.