The Financial Analyst works as part of the Financial Planning & Analysis team to establish and achieve business objectives and ensure accurate financial reporting and analysis relating to the Caterpillar business at CTE. This includes the Power Systems Division as well as the Construction Division. These rapidly growing divisions generate over half of the company’s sales and earnings and are focused on continued expansion across all functional areas – prime sales, rental, parts, and service. A highly analytical individual is needed to help drive the responsible growth and operational excellence in these areas through financial analysis and support.
While other duties may be assigned, essential duties and responsibilities include the following:
Business Advisory Services
- Evaluates alternative uses of capital to ensure that projects are expected to return in excess of weighted average cost of capital and/or are supported by a sound business case. This includes modeling for rental fleet additions and learning from investment return analysis.
- Calculates KPI’s (operational and financial), prepares performance dashboards, interprets and presents results and assists in developing plans to address high priority opportunities.
- Meets regularly to review monthly financial performance with department management, identifies trends and offers advice to improve profitability / mitigate costs.
- Assists management in modelling alternative pricing scenarios and their operational and financial impact.
- Partners with department managers to develop greater financial acumen within the business.
- Partners with department managers to profitably grow their business and meet their strategic goals.
- Assists in change management and supports key business initiatives with the goal of continuous improvement.
Financial / Compliance
- Ensures that internal controls are in place, functioning properly and sufficient to protect company assets and the credibility of the financial results.
- Assists management in the annual budget process and ensures budget templates are accurately populated.
- Prepares forecasts for company near-term planning purposes.
- Participates in the month- and year-end close process by reviewing department financial statements noting anomalies for research and correction.
- Provides analysis of monthly budget variances and identifies those that will be ongoing or changes to expense run-rates.
- Performs ad hoc analysis and projects as requested by Finance and Department leaders.
- Ensures, via a stringent sales administration process, minimal cycle for conversion of customer-owned equipment inventory on-hand into cash.
- Engages with used equipment and rental managers to ensure effective inventory management and returns, and analyze rental rate pricing and equipment valuations.
- Ensures past due accounts receivable are promptly investigated, pursued for collection and/or provided for by the company’s Credit Manager.
- Prepares capital expenditure requests, including related financial analysis, for management review and approval.
- Works with operations to identify cumbersome processes, assesses whether existing process alleviates other functional issues and/or is net beneficial across multiple functions.
- Designs, in concert with operations, alternative processes and makes recommendations to the leadership team.
- Assists in the implementation of new processes, works with training staff to document and train impacted individuals, and monitors acceptance / performance of these new processes.
To perform this job successfully, this individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, Economics, or Commerce from a four-year college or university required.
- Minimum two years experience in accounting/finance roles, with demonstrated career progression. FP&A experience preferred.
- Experience working with a larger company that his multiple divisions (public or private). Experience must include detailed forecasting and annual budget modeling, capex modeling and financial statement analytics.
- Highly proficient using Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint)
- SAP experience preferred
- IBM Planning Analytics experience preferred
- SQL experience preferred
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Advanced business and/or financial certifications a plus (e.g. CPA, CMA, CFA, CIA, CGMA, etc.)
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. If you are unable to complete the application without an accommodation, please call 704-731-7701 for assistance.