Carolina CAT - Rental Service Supervisor
The Service Supervisor is responsible for the performance of the shop service department - including operations, productivity, profitability, assets, budgeting, and customer relationships.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Manage safety performance and the day-to-day performance of shop employees.
- Lead morning Safety briefings
- Manage WIP daily to meet department goals through prioritization of work and appropriate scheduling of resources.
- Manage work orders in process open-to-end: Open WO, Repair Plan development & Quoting, WO Close & Invoicing
- Ensure customers receive daily updates regarding their repairs by serving as the primary point-of-contact
- Provide repair quotes and requotes for repairs and ensure customers invoice is clear and precise and is “as expected” in relation to pricing
- Maintain Rental (Metrics) to include Unavailable %, Return-to-Ready, Maintenance as a % of Revenue
- Perform mid-year and annual performance evaluation reviews for shop employees that are assigned to them
- Submit Warranty Claims and Goodwills to CAT
- Process technician labor hours through Service Link
- Works seamlessly with the Parts Departments to provide the best Product Support available to our internal and external customers.
- Sources parts needed for Allied repairs using various OEM’s information systems and issues PO’s
- Reviews technical bulletins, product improvement programs and other campaigns to identify affected Rental Fleet machines and coordinates repairs
- Validates and files all Allied warranty claims
- Helps to prioritize downed equipment based on the current needs of the business
- Assigns or performs general housekeeping duties as needed
- Optimizes operating systems to maximize efficiency and continually improve processes: – These include Service Link, Quoter, Equipment Link, Service Tracker, Inspect, DBS, Parts Store, iRental and, GEO Tab, S4 Hanna, Smart sheet
- Dispatches Field Techs and delegates work to Shop Techs
- Prepares customer damage estimates and enters them into the damaged database
- Approves repairs to fleet machines while evaluating reusability guidelines
- Coordinates outside repairs of fleet machines with vendors
This position has supervisory responsibilities with after-hours requirements as applicable
Qualifications & Competencies
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Expert knowledge of key operating systems: DBS, ServiceLink, iRental, Smartsheet, GEOTAB, and S4 Hanna
- Expert knowledge of critical CAT applications: SIS, ET and Dealer DSN
- Functional knowledge of phone system and the ability to manage customers through it
- Functional capability with Microsoft Office suite of applications
- Functional knowledge of CAT and Allied products
- Functional knowledge of key machine systems and components in relation to potential repair requirements
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to develop and maintain healthy relationships with Technicians, Tech Team Leaders, and support employees
- Ability to develop and maintain healthy relationships with customers and effectively resolves any service-related disputes
- Effectively communicate in various environments and settings through multiple channels
- Create a safe, positive work environment for employees.
- Develop young Tech talent, helping oversee the Career Development process for each Tech
Ability to lead and supervise employees/teams to identify and execute on a set of goals while maintaining team cohesion
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form
- Business Acumen
- Accountability for the department’s financial performance and statements with advanced understanding of financial definitions: GP, DE, PAD & PBT
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, proportions, and percentages.
- Understanding of interdepartmental relationships and can lead outcomes across departments
Key Performance Metrics
- Recordable Incident Rate
- Financial Targets: GP%, DE%, PAD% & PBT%
- Technician Productivity
- Rework %
- Unavailable %
- Maintenance As A % Of Revenue
- Field Service Response Time
- Return – to – Ready Time
Education and/or Experience
- High School diploma or equivalent with 2-year Technical degree preferred
- 5+ years direct CAT Service experience or 10 years industry experience in heavy equipment
- 3+ years of management/supervisor experience.
- Acceptable level of safety, rework and productivity in prior roles *Internal Applicants*
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and taste or smell. The employee is frequently required to sit. The employee must frequently lift and /or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts. The employee is occasionally exposed to high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; outside weather conditions and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; toxic or caustic chemicals; extreme cold; extreme heat and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is occasionally loud.
Standard Work Requirements
Scheduling & Dispatching (Productivity & Employee Engagement)
- Communicate and schedule field service calls with the customer providing Arrival date and Time
- Contact customer with a quote and any change to promise date regarding Additional Repairs
- Prioritize and schedule repairs for Technicians Shop/Field for the following day
Job Preparation & Safety (Employee Engagement & Safety)
- Open every work order checking for warranty
- Review work orders with Techs when necessary (Rework, early hour failure in the field)
- Ensure SLC is completing machine and attachment inspections
- Ensure daily compliance with 6S & Contamination Control checklists
- Conduct daily shop safety meetings
Communication (Customer Loyalty)
- Communicate any changes in the schedule to customers immediately
- Return all messages within 1 hour
- Quote all service work to be performed in PSQ, unless previously quoted by the PSSR or verbally approved by customer
- Get with Parts Back Order Analyst to make sure parts are expedited
- Communicate with Sales Reps when needed
Work in Process Management (Last Labor to Close)
- Check and approve time within 24 hours of submission
- Ensure service reports are detailed and submitted within 24 hours of job completion
- Ensure all parts being used on repairs can be claimed to warranty or have been authorized by the customer for replacement
- Ensure parts, warranty parts & cores are returned to parts department within 2 days
- Complete warranty checklist before submitting a work order to warranty department
- Ensure work orders are closed upon completion within 5 days
- Approve Tech Time daily
Quality Control (Customer Satisfaction, Technician Productivity, Profitability)
- Perform Daily yard walks to inspect machines on the Ready Line
- Perform Final inspections on sold units after the Sale Prep process
- Review Financials with GM on a monthly basis
Monroe, North Charlotte or South Charlotte
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. If you are unable to complete the application without an accommodation, please call 704-731-7701 for assistance.