Director - Business Intelligence & Advanced Analytics
The Head of Business Intelligence & Advanced Analytics (BIA) defines the data warehousing, business intelligence and advanced analytics capabilities for the organization. He/she will manage the BIA office and lead in planning, evaluating, and selecting the right tools and data science capabilities for the enterprise, and ensures that distributed analytics teams have the best data and analytics skills, processes, and technologies available to produce measurable business outcomes. He/she will serve as an advisor to the leadership team to develop and deliver enterprise-wide solutions for complex data challenges, including developing and applying algorithmic models to derive insights, improve decision making, and automate processes.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Defining Data & Analytics Strategy: Identifies and standardizes the use of data, analytics and related artificial intelligence capabilities. Builds and sustains a center of excellence from the ground up; this includes the governance of algorithms used for data analysis. Creates value by unlocking and sharing data and information in ways which will spur innovation.
- Identifying and Defining Data & Analytics Investments: Works with business and IT leaders to identify areas of technical needs for future data science capabilities. Drives the development and deployment of the data warehousing and analytics platform. Identifies and prioritizes business projects and enterprise data initiatives utilizing data science capabilities.
- Advising and Reporting: Serves as the Data Analytics technical advisor. Represents the BIA team and enterprise data stewards at leadership meetings and conferences. Develops and gives oral presentations on the power and value of data. Leads and/or serves on steering committees and helps leadership use its data effectively at these meetings.
- Facilitating Internal and External Collaboration: Collaborates with industry data experts to allow a proactive approach to improving insights derived from various data sources. Applies expert knowledge and mastery of advanced mathematics/statistical/computer science methods, theories, and standards to analyze enterprise results and reports, relevant external publications, and conference papers. Recommends and pursues collaboration and provides appropriate technical guidance to ensure the success of such collaborations. Interacts with business areas and IT on BIA solutions.
- Identifying Opportunities for New Data Products: Lead strategy development for BIA products to ensure the program becomes pervasive throughout the organization and helps enable new revenue streams. To support these endeavors, collaborates with the CIO/CTO to ensure that digital products are released on time, on budget and with high quality. Be a champion for the information services and related BIA capabilities.
This job has supervisory responsibilities for a team of BIA employees (BI Architects, Senior Analytics Analysts, Data Warehousing Specialists, matrixed Program Manager and contracting resources).
Education and/or Experience
- At least 5 years’ experience defining strategic initiatives and overseeing the development of long-term plans and proposals
- 10 years of progressively responsible relevant experience in business intelligence and data architecture, including creating partnerships, implementing BI and data integration strategies, and understanding the underlying technologies needed to enable productivity and innovation across a midsized or large organization
- Proven experience driving business, culture, and technology change in dynamic and complex operating environments
- Demonstrated ability to effectively coordinate, allocate, and manage resources and projects throughout multiple teams
- Knowledge of trends and developments in the fields of data management and data analytics
- Information management and quantitative skills, including working knowledge of IT infrastructure, various technologies/platforms, and enterprise-specific vendor solutions
- Industry-specific knowledge of data security protocols, policies, and regulations
- Good analytical, written, oral, and presentation skills with proven track record of effectively communicating actionable insights
- Strong diplomatic skills and ability to help senior business leaders see value, opportunities, and risks beyond their own area of expertise
- Ability to understand problems from a broad perspective and anticipate the impact of administrative issues and solutions
- Experience in computer programming, query languages, and internet based data visualization platforms such as Tableau are also preferred
- Demonstrated experience with developing data strategy, policies, and procedures, as well as successfully executing programs that meet or exceed expectations in a dynamic environment; experience creating tools and capabilities to assist with data discovery & collaboration, ensure data quality, and to load, clean, enrich, manage, and share data and metadata from a variety of sources
- Familiar with big data technologies (e.g. Hadoop, HBase, Lucene) and Extract Transform Load (ETL) tools
- Bachelor’s degree in Mathematics, Statistics, Data Science, Analytics, Computer Science or related fields; master’s preferred.
- Influence Behavior Change
- Business Domain Knowledge
- Business Case Development
- Project Prioritization
- Data Analysis
- Data Management
- Advanced Analytics
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. If you are unable to complete the application without an accommodation, please call 704-731-7701 for assistance.