Data Warehouse Architect
The Data Warehouse Architect is responsible for the end-to-end data warehousing environment, from source system to presentation tool. He/she will lead the design and implementation of enterprise data schemes for data connectivity to source systems, as well as the extract transform and load processes needed to populate a data lake, data marts and other OLAP data repository. The DW Architect serves as a key adviser to the Director of BI/Advanced Analytics to provide solutions for complex data integration challenges. He/she will use expert specialist skills and knowledge to contribute to the development and implementation of plans in line with the overall strategy of the company; performing as the Lead Architect on major data programs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Architecture and Design
- Lead the architecture and development of ETL / data pipelines which bring source system data into a cloud environment for use in business intelligence applications or analytics development and deployment.
- Lead the design and development of data architecture for the BI & Analytics ecosystem, and through expert knowledge translate high-level business requirements into data models and appropriate metadata, test data, and data quality standards
- Lead the process to deploy content through standard BI tools or custom data services.
- Work as part of the program management team on large programs, governing and shaping the delivery of data integration / ETL components of the projects. Work closely with external suppliers to ensure solution makes best use of technology and meets requirements
- Simplify the existing data architecture, delivering reusable services and cost saving opportunities in line with the policies and standards of the group
- Ensure that all solutions are complete, operable, conform to business processes, and meet the business needs with the agreed quality of service
- Responsible throughout the entire project life-cycle for the end-to-end compliance with enterprise data model and logical data groups
- Provide mentoring and coaching for data developers and ETL analysts engaged on initiatives
- Ensure the end-to-end solution is fit for purpose, meet the needs of business, the agreed requirements, and are both pragmatic and supportive of the strategic architecture direction
- Lead and participate in the peer review and quality assurance of project architectural artifacts.
- Participate from time to time in the supplier selection process, evaluating usefulness and cost of products and making appropriate recommendations
- Drive project knowledge back to the enterprise data model and ensure that it evolves correctly
- Develop conceptual, logical and physical data models to support data analysis and business intelligence
- Create and maintain current- and target-state data architectures
- Ensure technology solutions are in alignment with data architecture principles and target state
- Oversee end-to-end data life cycle management activities
- Evaluate and recommend emerging technologies for data management, storage and analytics
This job has no direct employee management responsibilities at this time, but may in the future as business needs dictate; incumbent will be required to manage contracting resources as needed.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree with an emphasis on technical, analytical, and problem solving skills.
- 8+ years in the information technology field, with architectural background and experience
- 5+ years as a DBA, Data Systems Analyst or Business Intelligence Developer
- Experience working in or developing a DataOps culture; familiar with automated testing systems, continuous integration / continuous delivery approaches and building data quality into data pipelines
- Strong experience in data warehousing, data modeling and/or data analysis
- Proven experience with entity relationship modeling, metadata systems, data quality tools and techniques
- Ability to relate architectural decisions and recommendations to business needs
- Experience with cloud-based database technologies (e.g., Snowflake, AWS, SQL, Hadoop)
- Experience with enterprise ETL tools (e.g. Talend, Informatica)
- Experience with enterprise business intelligence tools (e.g. Microstrategy, Tableau, Power BI)
- Ability to regularly learn and adopt new technology
- Experience developing reference architecture, principles and standards
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to communicate across all levels of the organization and work with diverse project teams
- Technical Domain Knowledge
- Business Domain Knowledge (equipment, dealer, service)
- Data Governance
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations
where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in
written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use
hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is
occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and taste or smell. The
employee is frequently required to sit. The employee must frequently lift and /or move up to 25
pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color
vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment The work environment characteristics described here are representative of
those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical
parts. The employee is occasionally exposed to high, precarious places; fumes or airborne
particles; outside weather conditions and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to
wet and/or humid conditions; toxic or caustic chemicals; extreme cold; extreme heat and risk of
electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is occasionally loud.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. If you are unable to complete the application without an accommodation, please call 704-731-7701 for assistance.