Director, Business Strategy
This position will be a trusted partner to the CEO, and will be a leader in the Executive Office and will actively engage with CTE’s Senior Leadership Team. The individual will be responsible for ensuring the execution of special CEO-initiated projects while also maintaining a curiosity for “improve always” across the Company and within the C-Suite. The individual will help lead projects and initiatives with broad scope and high impact to the organization. The role will be engaged in key assignments with both long and short-term business implications, may lead or participate in cross-functional teams, and contribute to the overall strategic priorities.
KEY TRAITS TO SUCCESS
- Confident but humble; willing to “roll up sleeves” to help get the job done
- Demonstration of curiosity and quick study to learn the business
- Highly resourceful; strong emotional intelligence, self-motivation, strong analytical skills
- Discrete, agile-minded, strategic, a direct communicator, highly organized and committed to the vision and values of CTE
- Willingness to work hard and take direction- but also creatively solve problems for which answers aren’t always obvious and where those solutions challenge status quo or best practice.
- Tact, diplomacy and consistent persistence are essential qualities
- Positive energy while being adaptable to changing priorities
- Unquestionable personal code of ethics, integrity, confidentiality, and trust
- Highly detail oriented with the fortitude to support a highly engaged CEO who is also highly detailed.
- Demonstrated Financial acumen, Business acumen and a strong analytical mind.
The position reports directly to the CEO with consistent exposure and engagement with CTE Directors, VP and SVP levels.
Planning and Execution
- Help organize annual strategy planning offsites for the senior leadership team and leadership council to develop strategic initiatives and/or projects
- Ensure Executive team’s needs are conveyed to the CEO for
- Apprise the CEO of project status and variations from schedule or scope
- Work with Executive staff (Senior Leadership Team and Leadership Council) to align their actions and communications in support of agreed upon goals and that focus is maintained
- Work closely with all staff to ensure the CEO’s needs are conveyed and that progress is being made in a timely way
- Work directly with the Project Management Office to ensure they create an executive summary (budget, timeline, high level comments on status) for all top-tier projects to present to the CEO in a pre-determined cadence
- Ensure project rationale is in sync with corporate strategic direction
- Scope, plan and execute multiple, often quick-turnaround projects with minimal outside assistance
- Present ideas for special projects that might facilitate the CEO’s/leadership’s objectives
- Work with appropriate stakeholders, including outside parties, to undertake analysis and present findings to CEO, Executive staff, or Board, as appropriate
- Perform research and financial analysis
- If necessary, oversee transfer of projects to other stakeholders within the organization
Performance Analysis & Optimization
- Engage in root cause analysis—often without prompting from the CEO or others—on issues and opportunities impacting CTE’s executive agenda
- Confirm hypotheses through tactful and discrete engagement with the relevant parties
- Develop alternative approaches to addressing the problem or opportunity, including a recommended solution.
- Succinctly update the CEO on issues, supported with facts and recommendations
- Engage in coalition building in support of mitigation approaches
Communications and engagement initiatives
- Document the agenda, meeting minutes, and action items for the CTE board of advisor’s meetings and senior leadership team meetings
- Work with the CEO to determine upcoming needs outlining, drafting, and/or researching in support of meetings and events
- Coordinate with others who might be involved; communication must be clear, concise, and compelling
- Prepare follow up correspondence for internal / external meetings, as directed by the CEO conducting fact checking in support of all communications
- Present timely work-in-progress updates to the CEO on the status of the communication materials
ESSENTIAL EDUCATION QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Four Year degree required; Master’s Degree highly preferred.
- Experience working within a corporate strategy team
- Consultant background preferred and/or corporate development experience
- Continuous Improvement experience required. Lean or Six Sigma certification is desirable.
- Ability to interpret and analyze complex data and exercise initiative, sound judgment, problem-solving and decision-making.
- Stellar communication (verbal and written) and presentation skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to maintain positive and effective working relationships across the organization.
- Ability to travel as needed.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. If you are unable to complete the application without an accommodation, please call 704-731-7701 for assistance.