Carolina CAT - Technical Communicator, Component Rebuild
The Technical Communicator is responsible for supporting service, and parts departments with equipment and component related technical issues, while maintaining a high level of customer satisfaction.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Provide technical support to technicians and parts personnel as needed
- Review work order to know scope of work, time, parts quoted, and verify eligible PIP/PSPs/ or any product updates that may apply to work order
- Perform failure analysis on failed parts/components and notify Supervisor/Coordinator immediately upon completion of failure analysis
- Effectively support and communicate repair related information with parts and service department associates to include assisting in completion of additional parts lists beyond what was originally quoted, and what are necessary to complete rebuild.
- Determine the technical or physical status using the on-board computer, service documents and reviewing product improvement and support programs
- Conduct pre and post-repair inspection with Technician for every repair and ensure assembly quality procedures are being followed
- Enter DSN tickets and monitoring CPI issues when applicable
- Serve as lead contact with Caterpillar on assigned field follow machines and components
- Supply input to Caterpillar for product problem management
Qualifications & Competencies
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.Systems
- Functional knowledge of key operating systems: DBS, ServiceLink and MDS
- Expert knowledge of critical CAT applications: SIS, ET and Dealer DSN
- Functional capability with Microsoft Office suite of applications
- Functional knowledge of CAT products
- Expert troubleshooting skills (Electrical, Hydraulic) and expert use and application of all Caterpillar diagnostic tools, electrical and electronic system applications.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the application, operation, repair and function of Caterpillar equipment and engines.
- Exceptional problem-solving techniques and knowledge of repair options for Caterpillar machines, engines, and components.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to develop and maintain healthy relationships with Technicians, Supervisors/Coordinators and support employees
- Ability to develop and maintain healthy relationships with customers
- Effectively communicate in various environments and settings through multiple channels
- Create safe, positive work environment for employees.
- Ability to train and mentor less experienced Technicians and lead a team
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume.
- Understanding of interdepartmental relationships and lead outcomes across departments
- Familiarization with financial definitions: GP & PBT
Key Performance Metrics
- Recordable Incident Rate
- Technician Productivity
- Rework %
- Labor Overage %
Education and/or Experience
- High School diploma or equivalent with 2-year Technical degree preferred
- 5+ years direct CAT Service experience or 10 years industry experience in heavy equipment
- Acceptable level of safety, rework and productivity in prior roles *Internal Applicants*
- Successful completion of the Career Development Level 5 service technician
- Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: A valid driver’s license, must complete the in-house forklift-training program.
EEO/AA Employer. All qualified individuals – including minorities, females, veterans and individuals with disabilities – are encouraged to apply.