Sr. R&D Engineer
CSI is a medical device development, manufacturing, and sales firm that provides numerous applications for use in the treatment of vascular diseases. This position is concerned with discovery, design, development, support, and documentation of new and innovative technologies for use in these and similar fields.
- Own the development and discovery of key breakthrough solutions in support of future franchise products.
- Invent and design existing and new/novel catheter and wire based technologies for use in various interventional spaces
- Design and coordinate standard engineering tests and experiments.
- Prepare standard reports/documentation to communicate results to a technical team.
- Work cooperatively with Quality, and Regulatory to launch products in a timely and expeditious manner.
- Work with manufacturing and process development engineers in developing, troubleshooting, standardizing and improving existing production methods and procedures.
- Use CAD environment to create, develop, analyze, and document components and assemblies.
- Support technical aspects of PDP, verification and validation.
- Interface with suppliers focused on multiple disciplines of critical and new components.
- Work with current and emerging technologies to develop a technology map for long term company success.
- Provide technical mentoring of junior level engineers in the areas of product design, testing and performance.
- Interface and build long term relationships with physicians/customers/suppliers.
Required Qualifications / Experience
- Typical minimum education: Bachelor of Science in Mechanical or Biomedical Engineering or similar experience in product development of medical devices.
- Knowledge of practical mechanical design, materials, manufacturing methods as well as the ability to apply appropriate methods and techniques.
- 3D CAD software experience required with SolidWorks experience preferred. SolidWorks will be used for all documented design work.
- Materials experience in polymers (injection molding, reflow, extrusion), metals, braiding and coiling and micro scale components.
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
Ideal Candidate Description
The ideal candidate is one who meets the above general criteria and has strong technical knowledge, excellent creative skills, and possesses a unique talent for communicating with customers. To work at CSI the candidate must be motivated to complete jobs on short timelines corresponding to industry development needs. The candidate will excel in a high energy, fluid environment, with multiple responsibilities. The candidate will be an expert in one or more product development disciplines (e.g. Machining/Injection molding/Extrusions/…) and have a proven track record of accomplishments in this area. Additional preferences include:
- 5+ years experience in product development with technical engineering background (Mechanical engineering, Chemical Engineering, Biomedical engineering, or Material Science).
- Design of catheter based technologies.
- Design of Nitinol and Stainless Steel Guidewires.
- Stent design with design for laser cutting/processing expertise.
- Packaging design.
- Strong mechanical design skills including prototype development, test method and test fixture design.
- Knowledge of and/or experience in patent laws in US and emerging markets
- Knowledgeable in GD&T, risk analysis, and hazard based decisions
CSI is an EEO/AA company: Women, Minorities, the Disabled and Veterans are encouraged to apply. If you are a job seeker with a disability and require accessibility assistance or reasonable accommodation to apply for an open position, please contact the Recruiting Department at Cardiovascular Systems, Inc., 1225 Old Hwy 8, New Brighton MN 55112, or call (651) 259-1600.