- Provides necessary and essential mapping and analysis services to the Division of Engineering and Asset Management through the utilization of the latest in spatial analysis techniques.
- Directly supports the Road Inventory section, which is responsible for FHWA submissions as well as HPMS data collection and reporting.
- Provides expertise to some 100+ individuals in the Division as needed with regards to locating projects, deciphering data from outside sources such as ISP, etc. with regards to critical infrastructure analysis and assistance with presentations.
- Conducts complex analysis of geospatial data for Geographic Information System (GIS) projects in response to user request (e.g., link existing systems that reside on various platforms, graphical queries, map overlay, project analysis).
- Supervise and coordinate the training and scheduling for subordinate staff members.
- Educates users regarding GIS technology (e.g., provides documentation, tools & presentations/training to all levels of users/customers, write newsletter articles, creates/updates web site resources, establishes/updates standard queries).
- Coordinates with INDOT executive staff and other State agencies response to user’s request for digital data & applications.
- Participates in development of macro-language program (e.g., Visual Basic, Perl) &/or SQL for GIS operations to improve users’ products.
- Operates GIS software (e.g., ArcView, ArcMap, MGE, Arcinfo, Microstation, GeoMedia) to produce &/or revise maps, engineering design drawings, cartographic enhancements (e.g., land use, land cover, bed rock, geology, wetlands, land parcels, highway design characteristics, pavement management, highway performance monitoring system, highway accident statistics, bridge locations) for planning & design report preparation, documentation & project management.
- Ensures GIS operations adhere to INDOT’s geographic information policies & guideline standards for data capture, data manipulation & output.
- Coordinates applications design & final products based upon Central Office & district office needs & expectations.
- Tests GeoMedia packages, pilot & recommend tools.
- Transforms final products to storage media & creates data reports to include meta-data.
- At a minimum, 5 years of experience working with GIS and concepts.
- At a minimum, 5 years of experience of spatial analysis, transportation networks, and linear referencing with GIS.
- Experience creating databases and queries in Microsoft Access.
- Ability to use operational and statistical research in asset management analysis
- General knowledge of accounting principles
- Bachelors degree in geography, natural resources, engineering, planning, computer science, biology, geology, ecology or related field to include course work in geographic information systems.
- A degree of creativity and latitude is expected.
- Ability to work with clients to understand their needs.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Professional presence is required.
- ****All candidates must be able to pass a State of Indiana-required background screening and drug screening.
- Masters Degree in geography, natural resources, engineering, planning, computer science, biology, geology, ecology or related field to include course work in geographic information systems.
- Capability to work in a team environment, as well as independently.
- Ability to maintain a positive relationship with customers and other vendors.
- Demonstrated ability to comply with data standards and policies.
- Possess motivation to learn new technologies and methodologies that demonstrate value.
We are an E-Verify employer where mandated by State or Federal contracts.