Senior Software Engineer (Ontology Tools)
CrowdStrike is the leader in cloud-delivered next-generation endpoint protection, threat intelligence, and pre- and post-incident response services. With the ability to collect and process over 100 billion events a day, CrowdStrike has revolutionized endpoint protection by being the first and only company to unify next-generation antivirus (AV), endpoint detection and response (EDR), and a 24/7 managed hunting service — all delivered via a single lightweight agent. We are one of the World's Most 50 Innovative Companies according to MIT, and one of Forbes Most Promising Companies. Our growth and innovation are driven by incredible employees who deliver unmatched customer success.
We have received a number of exciting awards including:
- October 2018: 100 Best Medium Workplaces Second Year in a Row by Fortune magazine.
- June 2018: Closed over $200 million, led by General Atlantic, Accel and IVP, with participation from March Capital and CapitalG (Google), achieving a valuation of more than $3 billion.
- April 2018: CrowdStrike Wins SC Award for Best Security Company Second Year in a Row.
About the Role
CrowdStrike’s Ontology team is focusing on helping teams use data modeling, custom languages, and ontological definitions to drive overall system behavior. Our team actively collaborates with partner organizations and stakeholders on major initiatives within Engineering and R&D. We also design, build and maintain services and APIs used to define and work with our ontologies.
We’re looking for an experienced generalist engineer to increase the development capacity of our small (three person) team. The core technologies you’ll encounter will be Go microservices, backed by Cassandra or Postgres, along with Ember web apps. There’s also a good sprinkling of Splunk, Python, Kafka, and whatever new thing inevitably pops up. We don’t expect a candidate would be familiar with all of the technologies our team might encounter. Comfort with the core tech stack and a willingness to figure out the rest as you go is sufficient.
Falcon sensors send hundreds of billions of events to CrowdStrike’s Threat Graph every day. By building tools that let people define what exists in our systems, and how those entities are related, we can automate data flows, reason about system behavior, and make those events useful to our internal systems and external partners.
CrowdStrike is a computer security company, but we do not expect candidates for this role to have prior security industry experience. We will mentor and train in aspects of the security world as required. We do expect a strong interest in CrowdStrike's mission and a willingness to grow into a position consulting on system design decisions and coordinating with other teams across the company
The office with the most Ontology team members is Minneapolis (MN), but CrowdStrike is a remote-friendly organization and you’ll be collaborating with developers in many locations. Remote US applicants are welcome. If you prefer the office life, but aren’t in Minneapolis, CrowdStrike also has engineering offices in Irvine (CA), Sunnyvale (CA), Kirkland (WA) and Crystal City (VA). Occasional travel (<=10%) is required.
- Enhance and maintain ontology team tools
- Join cross-functional teams to design and deliver major initiatives
- Integrate existing cloud systems with new ontology services
- Support the use of our ontology services and authoring tools by CrowdStrike developers
- Experience writing cloud microservices. Ours are in Go, so being comfortable in Go is preferred.
- An understanding of how to design and deliver APIs that are used by both UIs and non-UI consumers
- A working knowledge of SQL and relational databases
- Experience designing and developing scalable and performant systems
- Solid experience supporting internal users and initiatives
- Willingness to learn new things and dive into unfamiliar codebases
- Good self-organization and self-motivation skills
- A history of success working on cross-team and interdisciplinary projects where goals are understood but solutions may be less clear
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- The ability to help set short to medium-term strategic technical direction - to look ahead 6-12 months, identify needs and create plans to address them
You can definitely be a successful candidate without these skills, but we’ll be thrilled if you know something about:
- Jenkins and/or Bamboo
- Atlassian BitBucket/Stash plugins
- Experience with streaming event processing
- Use of ontological models to drive system behavior
- Computer security skills and experience
- Experience mentoring and coaching less senior developers
The Ontology team values diversity and strives to be an inclusive group. Members of groups traditionally underrepresented in tech are encouraged to apply.
Benefits of Working at CrowdStrike:
- Market leader in compensation + stock options
- Competitive vacation policy
- Comprehensive health benefits + 401k plan (US only)
- Paid paternity and maternity leave, including adoption
- Flexible work hours and remote friendly environment
- Wellness programs
- Stocked fridges, coffee, soda, and lots of treats
- Peer recognition
- Inclusive culture focused on people, customers and innovation
- Regular team activities, including happy hours, community service events
CrowdStrike believes that diversity and inclusion among our organization is essential to our success as a global company, and we seek to attract, retain and empower the industry’s best and brightest from a diverse talent pool.
CrowdStrike is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.