Senior Manager, Process Chemistry
Cronos Group is an innovative global cannabinoid company with international production and distribution across five continents. Cronos Group is committed to building disruptive intellectual property by advancing cannabis research, technology and product development. With a passion to responsibly elevate the consumer experience, Cronos Group is building an iconic brand portfolio. Cronos Group’s portfolio includes PEACE NATURALS™, a global health and wellness platform, two adult-use brands, COVE™ and Spinach™, and two hemp-derived CBD brands, Lord Jones™ and Happy Dance™.
At Cronos Group, we hire talented people who thrive on solving difficult problems and give them the opportunity to hone new skills and approaches. If you want to play a part in shaping an innovative industry and help build a historically significant company, we want to meet you.
The Senior Manager – Process Chemistry is expected to oversee the development of the processes for the purification of cannabinoids from fermentation broth and plant material, as well as the modification of common cannabinoids to generate rare molecules. As senior manager you will coordinate R&D chemists, technicians, and research associates who conduct the process chemistry experiments. This manager will also collaborate with scientists involved in the product development, formulations, and analytical groups. As part of the candidate’s positions, they will coordinate with operations to ensure smooth transfer of technology and process understanding and fulfil the role of Chemistry Subject Matter Expert for Quality and Regulatory affairs.
This position is based out of Winnipeg, Manitoba.
What you’ll be doing:
- Responsible for all aspects of research and development; creating and executing sound research practices for the development of extraction, modification, and purification methods for various cannabinoids from plant extracts and fermentation broth.
- Develop efficient chemical synthesis processes to convert common cannabinoids to rare molecules.
- Work with the Analytical teams to lead chemical identification, determination of specifications, and assessment of cannabinoid stability.
- Assist Product Development with relevant research to support development of edible, topical and inhalable products.
- Aid the SLT with timelines and projections relating to processes in development and potential new projects
- Lead in organizing and execution of project management methodology, defining milestones, maintaining timelines and budgets.
- Interpret and document all test results, calculations, observations, and complete report summaries in a timely manner.
- Presenting findings, scientific insights and recommendations to peers and leadership groups.
- Track and evaluate effectiveness of processes including cost of goods analysis and determine next steps.
- Troubleshooting production problems and/or product issues. Approximately 25% of the time of R&D staff is taken up with activities loosely categorized as “Production Support”.
- Act as a Chemistry Subject Mater Expert for the global R&D organization, Operations, Quality, and the boarder business team.
- Follow proper manufacturing and laboratory quality systems.
- Prepare SOPs, Process Flow Diagrams and Master Batch Records as required.
- Maintain current awareness of recent scientific/technical developments and/or regulatory issues related Cannabinoid production.
- Ensure laboratory operations are following all company safety procedures.
- This position is a senior management position that supervises the R&D Chemistry group comprised of Research Associates, R&D Chemists, technicians, and Lab Assistants. This includes generating professional development plans for the staff and supporting their training and growth within the company and departmental goal setting.
- Must be onsite in Winnipeg, this is not a remote position.
- 30% in the laboratory and 70% desk work.
- Ability to perform a series of repetitive operations requiring manual dexterity and visual acuity.
- Work is typically light but occasional heavy lifting may be required.
- Must be comfortable with working with various chemicals, as can be expected in a laboratory environment.
- Work hours are regular day shift Monday to Friday, but occasional off-hour work and phone calls are required.
- A post-graduate degree (PhD) in Chemistry from a recognized university or college is mandatory.
- Minimum 10+ years of related experience preferably in an industrial setting.
- Extensive experience in Organic Chemistry and Process Development including understanding state of the art purification methods.
- Experience in a pharmaceutical environment and/or Cannabis Processing including scale up of processes to industrial scale is preferred.
- A working understanding of Good Production and Good Laboratory Practices and experience working with cannabis through a Health Canada licensed laboratory will be an asset.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong analytical, mathematical problem solving and organizational skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel).
- Possess strong communication, interpersonal and influencing skills to drive decision-making and effectively work with internal and external stakeholders.
- Scientific curiosity, personal drive, and networking abilities to find breakthrough technologies, product improvements and leading methods.
We are committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment, and we welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities and people with diverse backgrounds, identities, and cultures. For candidates with disabilities, accommodations are available upon request in all phases of the selection process.