Project Audio Director
This is an exciting opportunity to join the Total War audio department as a Project Audio Director, based within our multi-studio facility, at our Horsham studios, West Sussex.
As a Project Audio Director, you will collaborate with game directors and central audio teams to deliver AAA calibre audio solutions to our projects. You will lead the project audio development covering the planning, scopes, schedules, R&D, creative and technical developments, implementation, mixing, and optimisations. You will also be supporting the project requirements, vision and any franchise level initiatives and strategies.
We are looking for a creative and logical thinker, looking to advance craft and quality with a focus on delivering AAA-level audio solutions. Working with the franchise audio director, other key stakeholders and supporting department-wide initiatives & strategy you will:
- Work with game and central audio directors to align on audio-vision, operating and overseeing the project development in accordance with this
- Oversee the development and delivery of content and technical work on assigned projects, providing creative and technical feedback in alignment with project requirements / aesthetic
- Collaborate with franchise, central audio, and game directors to agree on and implement overall scopes, resource requirements, strategies, initiatives, and expenditure
- Coordinate and complete development work, aligning on scope, resource needs and timescales with central audio directors, leads and production staff. Prioritising team workflows and setting weekly/daily assignments
- Define and execute the project road map, establishing all development stages (creative and technical) among the audio disciplines and collaborating with development managers and central directors to plan the project schedule
- Define and implement the technical plans for the project including systems and tools to develop and debug features, embracing modern techniques
- Supervise implementation across the project, working with leads and other stakeholders, ensuring the integrity and optimisation of all areas.
- Conduct game play evaluation sessions, action updates to deliver a dynamic, vivid and immersive game audio mix
- Work with QA and approve test plans ensuring the audio experience achieves franchise benchmarks and is fit for commercial release
- Mentor staff, collaborating with central audio directors on training and development
- Consults with Franchise Audio Director on goals, expectations, and project quality matters
- Deliver project-wide progress and risk reports to Franchise Audio Director
- Experience of full cycle shipped AAA games as an audio lead or director
- Extensive experience working in-house in the games industry in creative audio role
- Strong creative sound design ability
- Experienced people manager with inspired leadership skills
- Advanced use of commercial or in-house audio engine solutions, workflows and practices[Wwise, FMOD, Unreal, Unity, ADX2 etc]
- Advanced knowledge of leading DAWs (ProTools, Nuendo, Reaper etc)
- Strong implementation skills, including systems design and optimisations
- Experience with surround formats
- Experience with PC and Console hardware, tools and workflows specifics
- Embraces new challenges, techniques and workflows
- Professional and positive mindset, promoting autonomous workflows
- Effective communication, listening and interpretation skills
- Strong attention to detail, organised and methodical
- Knowledgeable about general game audio techniques, trends and new developments
- Passionate about video games
- Visual scripting experience i.e. Node graph-based or Blueprints
- Experience leading location recordings, Foley sessions
- Knowledge and familiarity of Total War brand
About Creative Assembly
It’s an exciting time to be a part of our craft-led studio as we push boundaries, creating deep and detailed experiences that last.
Our teams are diverse from across the world, from trainees to industry veterans who constantly challenge us and make sure we are striving for the best within our games and our studio life. We are united through our shared values of Quality, Focus, Teamwork, Respect and Trust and we win awards for our culture and our people-centric approach, having won a Best Place to Work Award for five consecutive years. We invest in our people, the studio, and our projects. We are a company that’s secure and safe – you don’t need to worry about job security at CA.
Flexible working at Creative Assembly includes hybrid, fully remote for eligible roles, and in-studio. We recognise that there is no one-size-fits-all approach and empower our teams to define the working patterns which work best for them, which may mean different things for different teams and roles and at different times.
We’ll give you the creative freedom, tools, support, and development to achieve your potential.
Our studios are based in Horsham, UK and Sofia, Bulgaria, including several bespoke state-of-the-art audio suites and a dedicated motion capture facility.
We offer many benefits to support you and your family including:
- Flexible working: hybrid, fully remote and in-studio working
- Work from Anywhere for a temporary period each year (restrictions apply such as VISAs)
- Enhanced holiday allowance, maternity and paternity breaks, flexibility with our core hours, and no-notice holidays
- Bespoke relocation package for you and your dependents, with support throughout the process from our dedicated Relocation Specialists
- Private medical and dental insurance, life insurance, permanent health insurance, critical illness cover and free health care screening
- Generous holiday allowance plus full studio closure over the Christmas and New Year period, and all UK Bank holidays
- Annual discretionary studio bonus
- Join our award-winning education and social responsibility programme; the Legacy Project, as an industry ambassador to mentor and educate others
- Defined career development pathways and personalised training support including SEGA Dev Day, internal masterclasses, prestigious creative workshops, on-site training with renowned specialists and global conference attendance
- Opportunity to join our Diversity and Inclusion Network – an employee-led group
- Season ticket travel loans and cycle to work scheme with free bike servicing and discounted car valet service on site
- Free games and merchandise plus access to our extensive games library
- Free breakfast in the studio every day - toast, bagels, pancakes, cereals, yoghurts, fresh fruit, smoothies, juices, milkshakes and more in our fully stocked kitchen
- Wellbeing support with an employee assistance programme and onsite confidential sessions
- In-studio heavily subsidised massage therapy
- Discounts for home technology, travel insurance, corporate gym membership, cinema tickets, holidays, trips out and Ikea vouchers, and many local businesses including estate agents
- Studio parties for you and your family; such as our Summer Festival, Christmas Party plus a separate Children’s Christmas Party. We also have Cinema days and wrap parties for game releases
- Studio community activities such as life drawing, creative writing, Pilates, Walking Challenges, Couch to 5k, basketball, game and movie evenings, board game club, 5-a-side football, CA Choir, Sword fighting (yes, sword fighting) and loads more.