Core Gameplay Programmer
Creative Assembly are looking for a talented Gameplay Programmer who is keen to make their mark on the Total War Franchise. This role is based at our Studio in Horsham, West Sussex.
As part of an initiative to drive forward and develop the core technology on which our games are built, we are growing a core game systems team. A successful applicant will use there expert programming knowledge to develop features which are deployed into all our games.
These features are shared systems used by all our titles. As such a successful applicant will be expected to consider how to deploy flexible data-driven systems which can be configured for use in multiple titles.
You will join the team responsible for some of the key systems on which our games are built.
On a day-to-day basis, you will:
- Be responsible for the integration of physics, animation, and other core systems into the gameplay layers of our engine
- Work closely with our specialist animation, physics and rendering programmers to ensure the smooth delivery of core features to all our titles.
- Excellent C++ programming skillset
- Experience of developing games or in game engine development
- Strong analytical and mathematical ability
- Superb problem-solving skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Confident working with multiple disciplines
- Experience developing gameplay systems for real-time strategy (RTS) games or similar
- Knowledge of data structures and algorithms common to game AI, such as finite state machines, agent systems, pathfinding, etc
- Broad gaming experience and a sense for good game design
- An avid gamer, and ideally a keen player of strategy games, ideally including Total War
About Creative Assembly
It’s an exciting time to be a part of our craft-led studio as we push boundaries, creating deep and detailed experiences that last.
Our teams are diverse from across the world, from trainees to industry veterans who constantly challenge us and make sure we are striving for the best within our games and our studio life. We are united through our shared values of Quality, Focus, Teamwork, Respect and Trust and we win awards for our culture and our people-centric approach, having won a Best Place to Work Award for five consecutive years. We invest in our people, the studio, and our projects. We are a company that’s secure and safe – you don’t need to worry about job security at CA.
Flexible working at Creative Assembly includes hybrid, fully remote for eligible roles, and in-studio. We recognise that there is no one-size-fits-all approach and empower our teams to define the working patterns which work best for them, which may mean different things for different teams and roles and at different times.
We’ll give you the creative freedom, tools, support, and development to achieve your potential.
Our studios are based in Horsham, UK and Sofia, Bulgaria, including several bespoke state-of-the-art audio suites and a dedicated motion capture facility.
We offer many benefits to support you and your family including:
- Flexible working: hybrid, fully remote and in-studio working
- Work from Anywhere for a temporary period each year (restrictions apply such as VISAs)
- Enhanced holiday allowance, maternity and paternity breaks, flexibility with our core hours, and no-notice holidays
- Bespoke relocation package for you and your dependents, with support throughout the process from our dedicated Relocation Specialists
- Private medical and dental insurance, life insurance, permanent health insurance, critical illness cover and free health care screening
- Generous holiday allowance plus full studio closure over the Christmas and New Year period, and all UK Bank holidays
- Annual discretionary studio bonus
- Join our award-winning education and social responsibility programme; the Legacy Project, as an industry ambassador to mentor and educate others
- Defined career development pathways and personalised training support including SEGA Dev Day, internal masterclasses, prestigious creative workshops, on-site training with renowned specialists and global conference attendance
- Opportunity to join our Diversity and Inclusion Network – an employee-led group
- Season ticket travel loans and cycle to work scheme with free bike servicing and discounted car valet service on site
- Free games and merchandise plus access to our extensive games library
- Free breakfast in the studio every day - toast, bagels, pancakes, cereals, yoghurts, fresh fruit, smoothies, juices, milkshakes and more in our fully stocked kitchen
- Wellbeing support with an employee assistance programme and onsite confidential sessions
- In-studio heavily subsidised massage therapy
- Discounts for home technology, travel insurance, corporate gym membership, cinema tickets, holidays, trips out and Ikea vouchers, and many local businesses including estate agents
- Studio parties for you and your family; such as our Summer Festival, Christmas Party plus a separate Children’s Christmas Party. We also have Cinema days and wrap parties for game releases
- Studio community activities such as life drawing, creative writing, Pilates, Walking Challenges, Couch to 5k, basketball, game and movie evenings, board game club, 5-a-side football, CA Choir, Sword fighting (yes, sword fighting) and loads more.