Campaign AI Designer
We are seeking an AI Designer to join our talented team on our Total War franchise at our studio based in Horsham, West Sussex.
This is a game design position with a strong focus on AI behaviour. The successful candidate will design, develop, and deliver AI, and game features, that make the game exciting and engaging for our players.
This is an excellent opportunity to hone, and expand, your design skills to a high level, and work on one of the industry’s most feature rich games, whilst developing your career.
As an AI Designer you will design, setup and balance AI and game features and balance the game’s difficulty level . You will work closely with the AI programmers, and Game Designers, ensuring there is collaboration between these departments, whilst following the game’s vision set out by the Game Director.
On a day-to-day basis you will:
- Design AI features, game features and improvements
- Be the creative driver of AI development
- Document your designs, demonstrate how they will lead to good gameplay and meaningful choices
- Analyse and finetune AI behaviour using in-house tools
- Communicate with the Design and the AI team ensure a good flow of information between them
- Build up a holistic view of the game and balance the game’s level of difficulty
- Proactively solve problems whilst keeping in touch with relevant teams to ensure things are going in the right direction
- A gamer to the core. You are a great general and a skilled strategist and this is demonstrated by your ability to take any strategy game, analyse it in depth, theory craft tactics of the players you encounter
- Passionate about game AI and a keen interest in games development overall
- Deep knowledge of PC turn-based strategy games
- Ability to think from the player’s perspective
- Analytical thinker
- Excellent communicator, with good written skills
- Enjoys complex problem solving and working as a team
- Experience in AI design or programming
- Experience in game balancing
- Experience in data analysis
- Experience in scripting
- Experience working on strategy titles
- An interest in history
Creative Assembly is about the right people making the best games. We are united through our values; Quality, Focus, Teamwork, Respect and Trust.
We house many talented people, from trainees to industry veterans who constantly challenge us and make sure we are striving for the best within our games and our studio life.
Winner of multiple Best Place to Work Awards, we have studio sites in Horsham UK and Sofia Bulgaria, including a number of bespoke state-of-the-art audio suites and a dedicated motion capture site.
Currently we are working fully remotely, and we continue to assess the COVID-19 situation with the safety of our staff our number one priority. We are still actively recruiting and onboarding new staff each week. Our expert IT and HR teams will set you up with everything you need to join remotely whether you will need to relocate to the UK (or within the UK) now, or at a later date.
We offer many benefits to support you and your family including:
- Bespoke relocation package for you and your dependents, with support throughout the process from our dedicated Relocation Specialists
- Enhanced maternity and paternity leave, private medical and dental insurance, life insurance, permanent health insurance, critical illness cover and free health care screening
- Generous holiday allowance plus full studio closure over the Christmas and New Year period, and all UK Bank holidays
- Annual discretionary studio bonus
- Join our award-winning education and social responsibility programme; the Legacy Project, as an industry ambassador to mentor and educate others
- Defined career development pathways and personalised training support including; SEGA Dev Day, internal masterclasses, prestigious creative workshops, on-site training with renowned specialists and global conference attendance
- Opportunity to join our Diversity and Inclusion Network – an employee-led group
- Season ticket travel loans and cycle to work scheme with free bike servicing and discounted car valet service on site
- Free games and merchandise plus access to our extensive games library
- Free breakfast every day - toast, bagels, pancakes, cereals, yoghurts, fresh fruit, smoothies, juices, milkshakes and more in our fully stocked kitchen*
- Wellbeing support with an employee assistance programme and onsite confidential sessions
- In-studio heavily subsidised massage therapy*
- Discounts for home technology, travel insurance, corporate gym membership, cinema tickets, holidays, trips out and Ikea vouchers, and many local businesses including estate agents
- Studio parties for you and your family; such as our Summer Festival, Christmas Party plus a separate Children’s Christmas Party. We also have Cinema days and wrap parties for game releases*
- Studio community activities such as free Japanese lessons, life drawing, creative writing, Pilates, Walking Challenges, Couch to 5k, basketball, game and movie evenings, board game club, 5-a-side football, CA Choir, Sword fighting (yes, sword fighting) and loads more*
Our studio sites have disabled access. We are an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.