Senior Embedded Software Engineer
EPAM Continuum is looking for an exceptional Senior Embedded Software Engineer to join its multidisciplinary team of engineers, designers, and strategists to work in our Boston office’s Technology Practice.
Who We Are:
EPAM Continuum is a global design and innovation consultancy that creates products, services and experiences that work for people and the businesses that serve them. The Technology Practice focuses on innovation at the intersection of technology, engineered systems and human-centered design. Working with companies from startup technology ventures to global manufacturers, EPAM Continuum creates technology-based products and systems that are valued by people and transform businesses.
EPAM Continuum has more than 150 full-time employees, working out of four offices around the world. The team is made up of multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural professionals with diverse experiences, including anthropologists, architects, business strategists, economists, electrical, mechanical and software engineers, psychologists and designers. Since 1983, EPAM Continuum has created meaningful design solutions for companies and organizations worldwide, including Mindray, Respironics, Johnson and Johnson, Herman Miller, NIH, Avedro, Insulet, Amplifon and Affymetrix. Electrical and Software Engineering is a core capability within our business.
EPAM Continuum projects span the consumer, medical, and industrial segments and include a broad range of software and electrical engineering content including RF systems, embedded systems, DSP, and Windows/Linux/iOS/Android-based systems.
Our projects include a broad range of software content including:
- Embedded microprocessor and DSP systems
- Programmable logic devices
- Web based software systems demonstrating both advanced, modern GUI design, as well as detailed back-end development
- Mobile device software systems for iOS, Android, and Windows devices
- Windows based software systems for desktop and server applications
- Linux based software systems for a variety of platforms
EPAM Continuum projects span the consumer, medical, and industrial segments and include a broad range of software and electrical engineering content including embedded systems, DSP, RF systems, and Windows/Linux/iOS/Android-based systems.
We are looking for someone who can architect, code, and lead small teams in the development of a wide variety of software tasks, with a focus on embedded development; both under Linux and small real time operating systems. In addition, the candidate should be comfortable working with electrical engineers, mechanical engineers, and be able to adapt and recommend solutions to non-engineering colleagues and clients.
The candidate should be able to work across many different platforms, architectures, and situations. Diversity in code experience is extremely important. You must adapt to challenges and be able to learn new languages and platforms as circumstances dictate.
The primary responsibilities will be leading projects and developing embedded systems using C and C++. Other duties could include developing software for web-based applications, software for mobile platforms, or desktop applications for various operating systems. Knowledge of regulated software development and adherence to code standards and best practices are strongly encouraged.
Who You Are:
Someone with 10+ years of industry experience, who holds a bachelor’s degree from an electrical engineering or computer science program. A person who thinks in terms of creative solutions to problems and likes to have fun. You're theoretical and practical, and interested in contributing to teams with multiple disciplines (mechanical, electrical, software, and human factors engineers; industrial and digital designers; usability specialists; and design strategists.) If you have experience in some or all of the following and want to work in a cool global innovation and design consultancy, we would be interested in meeting you!
Experience in the following areas are required for consideration:
10+ years software development for application development, including understanding of and experience with:
- Strong skills using C++ for embedded applications
- Experience with unit testing
- Knowledge of Linux operating system, architecture, and scripting
- Understanding of real time operating systems
- Understanding of embedded microcontroller hardware across various platforms
Exceptional candidates will also have demonstrated experience in:
- Use and manipulations of databases, MySQL, Microsoft SQL, others
- Functional knowledge of Python
- Java application development for cross platforms
- Web application development and architecture, including common frameworks such as AngularJS
- Modern build systems for web applications
- Back end server architectures, including Node.js, PHP, REST APIs, and Web Services
- Familiarity with Windows Presentation Foundation, including C#, XAML, ASP.NET MVC
In addition, the following non-technical areas will be important:
- Ability to write clearly and effectively for proposals, promoting skills of the department in technical and non-technical areas
- Ability to speak with prospective clients and convey strengths of group
- Ability to answer questions in a clear manner
- Ability to manage the schedules and development of 2+ junior staff members
- Ability to develop a project schedule with realistic timelines, resourcing, and granular feature set
- Ability to manage risk as it relates to the project timeline
- Ability to communicate risks to clients and managers in a timely manner
- Ability to interview, hire, and manage groups of contractors
- Driven to document thoroughly and facilitate work-product re-integration within our clients’ organizations
Equal Opportunity Employer:
EPAM Continuum is an equal opportunity employer; applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.