Mainframe Assembler Developer
PLEASE ONLY APPLY IF YOU DO NOT NEED SPONSORSHIP TO WORK IN THE UNITED STATES. WE ARE UNABLE TO CONSIDER CANDIDATES WHO REQUIRE SPONSORSHIP
Compuware is unlike any 40-year-old software company you've ever seen; we are nimble, fast and obsessed with excellence and continuous improvement. We empower the world's largest companies to excel in the digital economy by fully leveraging their high-value mainframe intellectual property. We do this by delivering highly innovative mainframe application development and performance optimization solutions that uniquely enable IT to drive business value.
The company's ongoing success depends on our employees--a diverse team of people with a set of key, common attributes. We seek positive, high-energy, innovative and assertive team players who have a strong desire to succeed in a team- and customer-oriented environment.
As an experienced mainframe software developer, you understand the importance of the mainframe in the world today and for the next 50 years. The ideal candidate will become a member of a team working on industry leading software products used by application programmers around the world. You will be part of a team that is revolutionizing a 50-year-old industry and performing like a startup. Using agile development, you will help to execute the development and delivery of software that will impact the speed of business. Participate in prototype reviews, offering insight regarding feasibility.
- Participate in SCRUM meetings as a part of Agile development
- Create general system design
- Create technical specifications, clearly defining the programming effort required for new and changed programs, and interfaces to existing products
- Provide estimates for the programming effort defined in the technical specifications
- Identify potential roadblocks and develop around them
- Develop code that matches the prototype and specification, is maintainable and, as necessary, portable to other environments
- Perform problem determination for production release and create source code changes to provide solutions
- Complete implementation within time estimates
- Assist Technical Writer in developing technical documentation, and review materials for technical accuracy
- Mentor other Developers, Support or Quality Assurance in understanding product architecture, new functionality, and in identifying strategies for problem resolution
- Occasionally contact customers to understand problems or to provide a technical explanation
- Perform other duties as required
- Plan the implementation of new products and enhancements as reflected by the architecture
- Proficient in z/OS Assembler
- In-depth knowledge of z/OS internals and operating system component internals.
- Solid understanding of how to utilize system user exits and other system extension techniques
- Significant knowledge of and practical experience with z/OS programming languages and software development techniques
- Significant knowledge in CICS and MQ Series environments
- Sufficient knowledge of TCP/IP and Websphere
- Excellent problem-solving and debugging skills using system dumps
- Self-motivated / takes initiative
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to write code that is maintainable, extendible and has minimal bugs
- Ability to understand requirements and ask appropriate questions for clarification, as necessary
- Ability to analyze marketing requirements and external prototypes and to identify design and implementation alternatives
- Ability to understand and adhere to the project goal without necessarily agreeing with it.
- Agile development experience and/or knowledge is preferred
We offer competitive salary, company-sponsored premium Medical & Dental Plans, company-paid Holidays, Vacation, Personal, Sick Days and a company matching 401(k) Plan. We are an EOE -Minorities/Women/Disabled/Veterans and VEVRAA Federal Contractor.