Manager of Compensation
DescriptionDevelops, implements, manages and evaluates strategies, plans, programs and procedures designed to provide for equitable and competitive employee compensation.
The work is primarily consultative in nature, and elements of the work include leading the compensation team that does job analysis and documentation, salary survey participation and market data analysis, interpretation of regulatory guidelines, and creation/interpretation of internal policies/standards within the context of the compensation function.
Essential Job Functions:
- Manages, develops and mentors compensation employees
- Partners with company leaders and human resources on issues pertaining to all areas of compensation management
- Assists the team with issues with large scope, higher levels of complexity, sensitivity and/or visibility with the organization
- Encourages leaders to take a strategic approach to solving compensation related issues
- Serves as the primary resource to explain compensation policy and systems
- Designs training on compensation related programs
- Acts as a subject matter expert in areas of compensation practices
Salary Management Reporting and Consultation
- Oversees and partners with Business Leaders to design corporate programs such as the annual Focal, Bonus and High Performer Equity Grant processes
- Supports and communicates compensation calendar of activities for review and approvals including compensation program analysis and executive summaries
Job Classification / Market Pricing
- Supports the team with the job evaluation process when needed
- Consults with HR partners and managers regarding changes to jobs and reorganizations
- Support the team in participating and analyzing salary survey results to ensure current pay practices are cost effective and market competitive
- Develops, manages, and implements compensation strategies such as plan documents, changes, philosophy and best practices
- Management and coordination of plans such as executive deferred compensation, producer incentive plans, stock purchase plans/grants
All employees are responsible for internal controls in the performance of their assigned duties. Internal Control responsibilities are established in various policies, procedures, and documents, including the Code of Conduct.
Minimum Job Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources, Business Administration preferred. Relevant work experience will substitute for degree
- 7+ years progressively responsible experience in compensation, including the design and administration of compensation programs
- Knowledge of FLSA compliance
- Demonstrated experience solving complex compensation issues through quantitative and qualitative analysis
- Experience developing & delivering presentations including executive summaries to various audiences including senior management team and/or divisional leaders
- Excellent analytical skills including advanced spreadsheet capabilities in Excel
- Lead with a sense of urgency to both manage and support compensation related activities
- Ability to lead a variety of projects from start to finish (e.g. needs identification and assessment, modeling and analysis, solution design and implementation)
- Process improvement oriented and the ability to make recommendations and decisions
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong internal and external customer focus
- Team player (both as a leader and a team member)
Physical and Mental Requirements:
- Ability to sit at a computer monitor for extended periods of time
- Ability to perform repetitive finger, hand, and arm movements
- Ability to lift up to 15lbs.
- Ability to effectively discern information and formulate appropriate action
- Ability to reach, squat, bend, and manually manipulate standard office equipment
Values and Behaviors:
- Build enduring RELATIONSHIPS with clients and each other.
- Drive INNOVATION that simplifies life and work.
- Seek continuous GROWTH in your personal and professional development.
- Commit with HEART to serve others.
- Extend TRUST in order to receive it.
Notice to Agency and Search Firm Representatives:
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from agencies and/or search firms. Agencies must obtain advance written approval from Columbia Bank’s Talent Acquisition team to submit resumes, and then only in conjunction with a valid fully-executed written requisition contract for service and in response to a specific job opening. Resumes submitted to any Columbia Bank employee by a third party agency and/or search firm without a valid written and signed requisition search agreement, will become the sole property of Columbia Bank. Columbia Bank will not pay a fee to any Agency that does not have such agreement in place. No employee outside of Columbia Bank’s Talent Acquisition team has the authority to enter into a requisition search agreement.