Senior Compliance Officer
DescriptionThe Senior Compliance Officer develops and implements approaches to analyzing and advising on managing compliance risk. This role develops compliance monitoring scripts and schedules, owns and manages compliance policies and performs risk assessments, develops employee training, and extensively documents activities carried out under the Compliance Management System. The Officer conducts control testing to determine effectiveness and identifies the root cause of control breakdown or weakness. Engagement with executive and senior leaders as well as peers is routine for this role as a means of gaining insights on factors that have implications for the Compliance Management System and overall state of compliance. The Officer communicates risk analysis to an array of audiences, including but not limited to executive management, the Corporate Risk Committee and the Board Enterprise Risk Management Committee.
Essential Job Functions:
- Apply methods of compliance risk analysis to evaluate enterprise projects and other business initiatives, products, services and business processes relative to the Bank’s risk appetite.
- Collaborate with Compliance Department (and Enterprise Risk Management Department, as applicable) to prioritize and formally schedule compliance monitoring, ensuring adequate time for ad-hoc monitoring needs that present in the course of business.
- Develop and implement monitoring scripts and other methods to determine control effectiveness.
- Perform monitoring and testing of controls and transactions, as applicable, making risk-based recommendations for remedial action.
- Develop and implement measures to identify and assess emerging compliance risks relative to the industry and/ or the enterprise.
- Carry out comprehensive and timely review of assigned governance documents, including compliance policies, procedures, and training curricula. Drive continuous improvement and facilitate engagement in the quality and integrity of the Bank’s governance documents as well as the review/ renewal process.
- Effectively communicate compliance risk analysis, results of risk assessments and monitoring to a variety of stakeholders, including Executive Management, management and board committees, auditors, and regulatory agencies. Such communication methods will include use of Corporate Risk Department technology solutions.
- Mentor and develop junior team members by providing guidance, advice, feedback, and support.
- Keep abreast of latest risk management techniques and industry best practices.
- Demonstrate the Bank’s culture and values in interactions with others.
- Promote the culture of risk management and the correlation of risk management to shareholder value.
All employees are responsible for internal controls in the performance of their assigned duties. Internal Control responsibilities are established in various policies, procedures, and documents, including the Code of Conduct.
Minimum Job Requirements
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Finance or Risk Management, or equivalent experience.
- CRCM and/ or CERP designation.
- 5+ Years experience in bank compliance or other bank risk management discipline.
- High degree of subject matter expertise with respect to regulations and risk mitigation strategies applicable to business process including but not limited to sales, marketing and servicing of wealth management and commercial and retail banking products and services
- Experience in either an investment or retail banking setting performing or overseeing quality control and/ or compliance/ and/or audit functions.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Self-starter who works independently.
- Ability to collaborate effectively in cross-functional teams.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- Demonstrated strong problem solving and analytical skills.
- Solid knowledge of Microsoft Office products.
Physical and Mental Requirements:
- Ability to sit at a computer monitor for extended periods of time
- Ability to perform repetitive finger, hand, and arm movements
- Ability to lift up to 15lbs.
- Ability to effectively discern information and formulate appropriate action
- Ability to reach, squat, bend, and manually manipulate standard office equipment
- Ability to drive to various locations
- Ability to think critically and provide appropriate solutions
Values and Behaviors:
- Build enduring RELATIONSHIPS with clients and each other.
- Drive INNOVATION that simplifies life and work.
- Seek continuous GROWTH in your personal and professional development.
- Commit with HEART to serve others.
- Extend TRUST in order to receive it.