Sr. Underwriter - Mortgage
Responsible for mortgage loans originated by correspondents according to guidelines set by FNMA, FHLMC, FHA, VA, and the Bank (portfolio) for underwriting loans and ensuring compliance with department guidelines, state and federal laws, and lending regulation. Position will clear conditions and expedite loan closings.
- Underwrite FHA, VA, Jumbo, and Conforming loans.
- Approve, decline or counter offer loans within limits of assigned authority.
- Maintain a daily workload as needed to ensure prompt turnaround time as dictated by senior management.
- Approve, decline, or suspend/return residential mortgage loan submissions; must be responsible to meet deadlines when heavy periods of volume exist throughout the month.
- Function as a technical resource to business channel associates.
- Assist in correction of Delivery Violations on specific files as required.
- Enter complete and accurate data in systems to ensure data integrity.
- Support team members to identify potential solutions/alternatives for difficult/denied loans.
- Assist in orientation and training of department personnel.
- Maintain knowledge of underwriting guidelines and stay current with department requirements.
- Measure all mortgage loan submissions for underwriting decisions based on company quality control plans and investor/regulatory compliance.
- Provide prompt, quality service to the originating branches and correspondents in a friendly and professional manner.
- Coach Back to Loan Officers and Processors
- Underwrite files and appraisals for sale to the market
- Additional tasks as assigned.
All employees are responsible for internal controls in the performance of their assigned duties. Internal Control responsibilities are established in various policies, procedures, and documents, including the Code of Conduct.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor's degree preferred
- 5+ years of mortgage underwriting experience
- Must have DE, SAR/LAPP
- Minimum three year of FHA or VA experience.
- Previous automated underwriting experience preferred.
- Experience with both AUS and manual underwriting methods including DU and LP
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite
- Knowledge of FHA or VA regulations.
- Knowledge of real estate values and credit analysis.
- Knowledge of Processing, Underwriting and Closing procedures.
- Knowledge of conforming and non-conforming underwriting standards
OUR CORE BEHAVIORS
- Be Genuine. Conduct yourself in a consistent, honest and compassionate manner at all times.
- Work Ethic. Be willing to go the extra mile for the customer, whether internal or external.
- Influence. Be an active player in participating, building and contributing to service.
- Continuous Learning. Commit to gaining knowledge, skills and experience on an ongoing basis in order to better serve the customer, increase personal satisfaction and improve Columbia Bank.
- Team Play. We win together. Individuality is encouraged to advance and enrich the work of the team.
- Problem Solving. Bring creative, problem-solving mentality to every situation. See alternatives, take initiative and assume responsibility for your actions.
- Communication. Keep others informed and up-to-date. Actively listen and learn from each other.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to sit at a computer monitor for extended periods of time
- Ability to perform repetitive finger, hand, and arm movements
- Ability to lift up to 15lbs.
- Ability to effectively discern information and formulate appropriate action
- Ability to reach, squat, bend, and manually manipulate standard office equipment
- Ability to drive to various locations
- Ability to think critically and provide appropriate solutions